1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teenaged folk singer killed by coyotes in Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Very unusual. Coyotes are usually scared of humans. Throw a rock at them and they'll run off, usually even a pack of them.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'd wager these coyotes spent so much time around that heavily-used trail that they overcame the fear of humans.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Biologists are completely baffled by this attack.

There's only been one other recorded death by a coyote in North America--back in '81.

Cape Breton Highlands National Park is in a pretty sparsely populated area--the park's on the northern tip of the Island. And as one wildlife guy said on CBC, you have more to fear from your neighbour's dog than being attacked by a coyote. They tend to run at the first sign of humans.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1150025.html

"It’s very atypical of coyotes anywhere. We may at the end of all of this, despite any investigation, never have the answer as to why this happened," said Mr. Patterson, who’s an adjunct professor at Trent University in Ontario.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Were they rabid?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I was just about to ask that.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Rabies is mentioned in the Chronicle-Herald article I posted but then discounted.

He doubted that either animal involved in the attack was diseased because if they were sick, it would be unlikely the two would travel together.

An ill coyote generally "snaps" at others and "retreats," he said.

Rabies is a possibility, Mr. Way said, but two coyotes being involved in the mauling makes him question that.

"The first thing I thought with two animals is ‘wow, that’s bizarre,’ which is why I’m a little nervous to say ‘yeah, it’s a sick animal,’ " he said.

8. 93Devil

Thanks, JR. I only read the first link.

Is there open season on coyotes up there?

I remember in Arizona you could kill them any time and with anything is seemed like.

You shot 30 coyotes with your AK-47? Good job!

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Open season here too. It's still common to see coyote carcasses laid over barbed wire fences.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Um, I don't know about open season up here.

There are lots and lots of ravines in Toronto and two major river valleys so they've invaded the city parks and neighbourhoods. Saw one driving to work a couple of months ago but I didn't have my AK 47 with me. :)

There was one who jumped a backyard fence in the middle of the city grabbed a family's dog and ran off with it. Dog's owner saw it all.

Then we had a huge debate about whether the coyote should be killed if caught. Consensus was no.

11. wchDr

wchDr New Member

What kind of car was the coyote driving? Please, please say it was one of these.

12. 93Devil

Really?

That tune will change with the more problems you have.

Draft saved Draft deleted