1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teen Rap Feud, Gangs, and Murder in Chicago

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I blame the Cubs.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

In the end, it's all just a big distraction, because it doesn't matter. They have services to offer, they are collectively bargaining for what they are willing to offer those services for, and whatever both sides can agree to is what they deserve.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Because buildings still burn and crime still exists, I'm going to say that firefighters and the police are overpaid. The only fair way to determine civil service compensation is to compare it arbitrarily to my own, then subtract the difference.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Boo to YF for changing his avatar, no matter how noble the new one is. YF, You've got one of the most recognizable ones here. You're forcing me to do literally milliseconds of extra work to ID the poster.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Likely commemorative and/or temporary given the date.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes. The old one will be back soon.

And, I know what Circus means. It can be disconcerting when a regular changes their avatar.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I blame their plight on Scott Walker and The Koch Brothers who already did the heavy lifting in making it possible for Rahm to lay down the gauntlet.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Oh, I figured as much. NOT AS IMPORTANT AS MY EASE OF IDENTIFICATION.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Here's another way to look at it:

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Poverty is an excuse for poor performance? No, poverty is a reason for poor performance. Anyone who has ever sent kids to a public school environment knows this, and every study confirms it. Poverty and lack of parental involvement are essentially one and the same. And parental involvement is the number one factor in child achievement.

If 60 percent of students graduate from high school, that means 40 percent of students' parents are falling down on the job, and teachers can't help that. Evaluating them poorly because those kids' parents don't give a shit is ridiculous.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Why even try teaching?

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So how do you evaluate them? Or do shitty teachers just keep getting to hide behind the fact their students' parents don't give a shit?

Draft saved Draft deleted