1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teen Rap Feud, Gangs, and Murder in Chicago

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 8, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm sure they believe what they say:

[​IMG]

It's so clear. Why should I question them?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So why doesn't Rahm Emanuel support unions?

3. YankeeFan

Teachers Union sinks to new lows in their fight with the Mayor:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Why is the person in control of the budget not getting any of the blame? Have all the pro-union posters been struck dumb? Apparently, Yankee Fan is responsible for the situation in Chicago.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Is there any data that indicates which jobs tend have the most labour disruptions in North America? Teachers have to be near the top of the list. Our province is battling its teachers now, with those in Ottawa threatening a work-to-rule and a yearlong cancellation of sports programs.

Is there a reason teachers seem to find themselves in so many disputes? Honest question.

6. YankeeFan

Just another Scott Walker disciple.

7. YankeeFan

Don't know the answer to your question(s), but I found this pretty interesting:

This is the first teachers strike in Chicago in 25 years. Before that though, they struck 9 times in 18 years -- basically every time their two year contract came up.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Also important to point out that the Chicago Public Schools suck. And maybe I missed it, but has there been a comparison between teacher salaries in the city and that of policemen and firemen, who also are on Rahm's hit list? Of course, the pro-union posters who seemingly must have missed this thread probably don't care all that much about those particular employees.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

YankeesFan is right on this one.

Self-reported surveys are worthless. In almost anything, really, but especially in this. It's just human nature to overestimate that sort of thing.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The title thread doesn't reflect the discussion of the teacher's strike, so, I'd assume, some people who are interested in pro-union stances aren't looking at it.

According to the Sun-Times, firefighters averaged $87K, but received extras that boost it to an average of $104K.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/watchdogs/13335053-452/extras-give-firefighters-big-pay-boost-cost-city-84-million-a-year.html

Chicago police officers begin at Step 1 at $43K, which increases to $61K in Step 2. Step 11, which is only for officers with 30 or more years before 2006, is $89K. The middle step, 5, is about $71K.

http://directives.chicagopolice.org/forms/CPD-61.400.pdf

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So, Baron, who do you blame more for the teachers' plight, Mayor Emanuel or Yankee Fan?

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And what did the Wall Street Journal base its 1,039 hours on?
    They merely used a calculator to multiply the number of hours in school times the 170 days. If they honestly think that's all teachers put in, then they really need to do some better research. Or better yet, talk to some teachers.

But, like I said to the teacher on here earlier, that would destroy the narrative.

Draft saved Draft deleted