1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teen dies after setting himself on fire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Dec 10, 2010.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

People who choose such a manner of death often not only want to die, but think they deserve to suffer. Clearly many issues here, and that he couldn't articulate them and no one could pick up on them is very, very sad.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I suffered third-degree burns on my left leg from mid-thigh to ankle. Obviously, I wasn't burned anywhere close to this kid, but I've got a little experience here ... unfortunately.

The odd thing is there's not much pain at first. Your nerve endings burn off pretty quickly. You also go into shock, which mitigates the pain as well. The debridement tank was worse than actually being on fire.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's not a right answer, but I don't have a problem with kids going to school and finding comfort in classmates and/or grief counselors. Students who can't handle it should be allowed to stay home without academic repercussions.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When I was a senior in high school, three kids (two in my class, and a junior died, in three separate car accidents throughout the year (one of them, his underage friend was driving drunk). We had classes the day after all three deaths, but there were counselors for the kids to talk to.

For two of the kids, who weren't that popular, the day seemed fairly normal, maybe a little more subdued. But the kid who died in the DUI accident was pretty popular, and basically the classes were little more than crying sessions (I didn't know the kid, other than a couple of hellos, so I wasn't really mourning).

Draft saved Draft deleted