1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teen convicted for on-field death

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RickStain, May 28, 2009.

1. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

According to the article, the tackle was after the game when an altercation broke out. That's not the same thing as a player being convicted for a hit during play and someone dies. This could have been on the parking lot or in the street. It wasn't during the game itself apparently. Not that that makes it any less of a crime, but the line that the ruling "could affect competitive sports everywhere" or something like that, it won't. This wasn't a ruling against a blindside tackle during play or anything like that.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I believe the article says "as the game ended," but other articles indicate it was during the game itself, I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It was during the game.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Did the prosecution prove intent? I realize dead is dead, but intent to injure/kill plays a big part, too.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

He was convicted of manslaughter, not murder. Intent doesn't play a role in it according to my understanding of the Criminal Code of Canada.

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I think it was during the game but during a stoppage.

7. U.Fester

U.Fester New Member

Got to love the 52nd state.

Draft saved Draft deleted