1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teen Beaten By Police; Family Filing Police Complaint

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, May 19, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Reported crime rates don't always equal actual crime rates.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

You are right -- they are usually under reported and therefore I'd be willing to bet they are not actually down as much as politicians would have us believe.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Are there a lot of politicians trumpeting low crime rates these days? It would seem that fearmongering is still where the votes are.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

For a while low crime rates were the buzz words for mayors and governors claiming their cop initiatives somehow made streets safer.

Pimping high crime rates only works if you are looking for funding for more cops.

5. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Vancouver has different dynamics relating to crime than most cities but like most cities it's drug and gang related (presumably). I'm not an expert, just a citizen. Maybe some numbers are going down but it doesn't really feel like it. Grow-ops, shootings, stabbings, car theft, assaults are all rampant. Sad that great cities are decaying as a result.

I hope in my lifetime I can see politicians and city officials from different countries have a series of meaningful information sessions where cities like Portland can explain their success with homelessness, Paris with mass transit, New York with crime (so I understand) etc. for the benefit of everyone. Not a cookie cutter approach for all, just an exchange of proven, workable ideas.

Unfortunately a magic solution doesn't exist to solve the drug problems in our society.

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

http://videos.sunherald.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=2392198&item_index=4&query=jail&sort=NULL

7. Hellboy

Hellboy Guest

Which group(s) of people do you advocate beating?

Draft saved Draft deleted