1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teddy Greenstein skewers Weis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Nov 14, 2008.

1. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Weis does recruit there. As DanO noted, every class he's had a full shot with is top 10 in the country. Talent is not the problem.
    The problem is how those players develop once they're in the program, and how they play on Saturdays. That's on Weis, and so far, he's not doing so hot. But he should get another year for reasons articulated earlier on this thread.
    And Mustang, you're absolutely right on the '09 schedule. If they don't win at least nine next year, Weis is toast. They really should win 11.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Why the hell is ND playing Wazzu in San Antonio?

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Because someone offered them a lot of money?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I imagine Notre Dame wanted to show off the program in Texas without having to get crushed by one of the teams from there.

I'm sure in 2010 they're going to play a game in Florida against Connecticut.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I just looked that up.

Notre Dame was going to have 8 games at home each year, but decided to keep 7 at home and play one in random spots around the country.

So, for whatever reason, they are playing Washington State in San Antonio.

The next year they are playing a game in Florida and then possibly California or Arizona or something.

Pretty strange. I might have to drive down to San Antonio and watch that game.

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Close cakll against Navy today in a game that should never have been close, but once again Charlie's guys struggle to finish off a game----very similar to how they almost blew the Stanford game last month and then how they folded against North Carolina and Pitt after having second-half leads.

Perhaps just a very minor sidebar, but I even questioned Charlie's judgment in the second half when that monsoon downpour made for a torrential downpour for about 20 minutes in the fourth quarter and Charlie was the only person in the stadium who refused to put on a rain jacket and he was totally soaked with still 7 minuets left on the clock. Then notice the emotional hug that Charlie Jr. gave him as soon as the game was over, as though Charlie Sr. had just saved his job. Maybe he did.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Great job kneecapping Weis ... or in Weis' case, kneecapping himself.

Must be nice to sail around on supposed reputation alone ...

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Comments at the end of the stopry are special.. Either Teddy's an idiot or Weis is an asshole...and in some cases, both.,

10. silentbob

silentbob Member

I'll go against the pack.

This column was lame. I haven't interviewed every college football in America, but I've interviewed enough to know that they're all pretty arrogant.

To write a column like this, and to rip a coach like this, you need more than just a high school accusing him of arrogance. Then to say alumni are afraid of speaking out against Weis because they're afraid their kids won't get into ND? If I'm a sports editor, I want that in a quote, even anonymously. That's a pretty strong statement. Plus, if you're going to run it, you need reaction from a university official.

And did I read this right? Weis screamed at an official for a "bull--- call?" Seriously, how does that even get into this story when it happens on every sideline in America? Weak.

Finally, the Pryor anecdote isn't as strong as the writer makes it out to be. If you're the head coach at ND, would you encourage a recruit to go to the USC quarterback camp? The Super Bowl ring photo doesn't mean the guy's a jerk, it just means he's socially awkward. Finally, I've read the column twice and I have yet to understand "the gotcha" ending.

"Here's the best part," Reitz recalled. "He says to Terrelle: 'Call me tomorrow at 6. I'll be watching where Brady Quinn gets drafted.' "

Pryor never called. He chose Ohio State.

Why is that the 'best part?' So Pryor chose Ohio State. He shunned Penn State too. Is the writer trying to say Pryor dissed Ohio State because Weis told him to call at a time when he was watching Brady Quinn get drafted? No idea what this means.

And for the record: No, I'm not an ND fan. No, I'm not a Weis fan.

To me, this entire column read like "Weis blew me off so I'm gonna rip him."

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

What I believe he meant by that "gotcha" ending: Weis told Pryor to call him the next day, when he would be watching to see where Quinn, his QB, would be drafted. This was Weis bragging -- he, like a lot of other people, thought Quinn would be taken up pretty high.

The punchline: Quinn fell toward the bottom of the first round, Pryor saw this, figured Weis was full of crap, and didn't bother calling him back.

That's my interpretation, anyway.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Michigan will be better than they were, this year. Sparty won't be.

Purdue's academic standards keep them steps behind ND, most years.
    How convenient.

Their timing in scheduling both UW and WSU is uncanny.

Playing BC in South Bend, three of every four meetings . . . must be nice,
    even though BC has enjoyed the psychological edge in this matchup, for years.
    Still, the scheduling format is typical ND bully bullshit. Who died and made ND
    kings? The historical shame, of course, is that ND ducked making this series a regular thing, for years. About damn time, even though BC feeling they
    have to kiss ND's ass re site frequency is pathetic.

Navy? Traditional, and oh, so convenient, since ND out-athletes them, to such an extent, even in most down years.

You said all I would have needed to say about Pitt.

UConn's better than you think, though Weis has enjoyed a recruiting advantage.

Stanford's a traditional . . . they met in ND's only bowl game for decades, decades, and decades, and it's a good academic match. Harbaugh WILL
    drive Charlie nuts, for as long as both stay at their posts.

7 homers, 4 roadies, and a neutral . . . kiss, kiss.

Draft saved Draft deleted