1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teddy Greenstein skewers Weis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good column but anyone paying attention knew all this 3 years ago. Charlie thinks he is Bill Parcells. In fact anyone who has been around Parcells long enough carries themselves in the same way. They don't even have to be coaches. Look at Mike Francesa. Parcells has created a stable of sociopaths.

Its funny how Charlie thought he could control the media and its now backfired on him.

ND could have had Urban Meyer if they would have allowed him to take 2-3 Tony Rice type kids.

All the great skill players want to play in the spread. They are not going to play in Charlies Model T .

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Boom, I think I heard Wilbon say yesterday that if Navy beats Notre Dame today, Weis is gone. Do you agree?

3. Boom_70

Yes - agree. The natives are restless. I know some very prominent former ND players that echoed what Greenstein wrote. When they have gone back for games he has treated them like dirt which ultimately will prove to be his downfall.

Losing to BC was a bad loss for Charlie.

You are going to start hearing the Mike Leach rumors.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Charlie is an outstanding x and o guy. I speak from having covered him for many years. Unfortunately, x's and o's are approximately 0.00001 percent of successful college football coaching.
    All he needs is another Tom Brady. Good luck with that.

5. This isn't true. They have players. Those recruiting rankings are pretty legit. The two young receivers they have are outstanding. Clausen is outstanding. The young linebackers are good.

The offensive line, however, is as soft as a marshmellow. They absolutely, positively cannot run the ball.

And that's on coach Decided Schematic Advantage at some point, right?

Weis is so busy playing chess against other coaches that he seems to forget to instill toughness in the trenches.

Maybe that's oversimplifying it, but that's what I see. Boom?

6. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Sure sounds like Joe Theismann does, for what that's worth.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/aroundthebend/

But, honestly, as crappy as Weis has been, I just don't see how they can fire him this year. They whacked Willingham early and brought Weis in to "rebuild." You can't do that twice in a row, or you never stop rebuilding.
    Plus, there's loads of talent in those freshman and sophomore classes, probably more than they've had in years at the skill positions. This is a team that could easily be 7-2, if a couple of plays break differently against North Carolina and Pittsburgh. And it's a team that really ought to win 10 games next year with that schedule.
    As much as I can't stand Weis personally, I think you need to give him that shot, even if it's only because of the damage you'd wreak by starting all over again is greater than the risk he blows it once more. Look at Michigan. And it's not like there are marquee coaches lining up for the job lately.
    And yes, in full disclosure, I am an alum. Too disillusioned by a decade of mediocrity to still be a "fanboy," but I do have a rooting interest in the program.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear STL: I agree with your analysis. Notre Dame's football dominance stems from two historic demographic factors.

1. Rockne to about 1960: Urban Catholics had trouble getting accepted to other elite universities.

2. 1960-1990: African Americans from the south either could not or were leery of playing for southern state universities.

In the meta-analysis sense, the problem for Notre Dame football is President-elect Obama.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

"If Weis were arrogant, foul-mouthed and winning, few Notre Dame alums would grumble."

So let's not get holier than Faust

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not looking to go to war, here . . . won't do it . . . but:

"Outstanding" as a description of Clausen is a decided reach.

And . . .

Their best friend, down the road, is going to be the schedule.
    They're not going to play the Grand Intersectional Death March, anymore.
    That's over. They're looking to keep scheduling the service weak
    sisters, and a softer schedule with plentiful helpings of Big East
    middle- and lower-rungers. They'll continue to get their asses
    whipped by the Trojans, but you've can't schedule twelve eclairs.

That will help them, cosmetically . . . that, and an increased number
    of home games (dear God, three games in South Bend against BC,
    per each one at Chestnut Hill . . . what indefensible candyassery).

But all that will continue to do is propel them (and their essentially-phony W/L
    records) headlong into bowl games in which they'll be humiliated.

Because Tony Rice isn't going to be walking through that door, again.

And, oh, I almost forgot . . .

GO NAVY!

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hows about Kimberly Dunbar? She headed that way any time soon?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A great pull. Kudos.

12. Boom_70

What I see is a team that lacks overall team speed. They are plodding on offense and defense can't keep up with faster teams.

Again the good speed kids want to go to the Spread Offense teams.

As we go down the road I bet Rich Rodriquez is going to pull a lot of players who might have considered ND.

Draft saved Draft deleted