1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teddy Greenstein skewers Weis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Nov 14, 2008.

1. But this is a big misconception. They don't need to rebuild anything. The players are pretty much in place. They have the No. 1 quarterback recruit of the decade. Their recruiting classes allegedly are all top 10-caliber. At the very least, they have all been full classes, which is important.

This isn't some big reclamation project.

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Really, it would be like what Weis did when he first got to Notre Dame - take talent someone else developed and figure a way to make them win football games.
    Problem is Weis done much talent developing, or much winning, since.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

SI had something on their Truth and Rumors page (Probably from The Trib) that said Weis' buyout is not that big.

That would make sense since most college coaches have deals where they have a certain base salary, and then they get additional money (shoe contract, TV show, radio show, appearances at booster functions) that they're only eligible for if they're still the coach.

I say Weis is gone within 48 hours of losing to USC.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Great ad placement over on Pat Forde's Dashe column.

2 ads for the Atkins Diet right next to a picture of Chucky W.

I have a screen shot but I can't figure out how to upload it.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Maybe go here and you can get the same ad as me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&page=dash0813&sportCat=ncf&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Enough of this stuff that Weis won his first two years with Willingham's recruits. OK, verbatim, that's true. But to say that Ty developed those guys before getting fired is a joke.

Brady Quinn, Jeff Smardzija (sp?), etc. were mediocre talents under Ty. Remember how in his first two years, Quinn bent down at the knees taking the snap from center, his butt practically touching the ground, which is just indicative of how the offense was doomed at the beginning of each play. I mean, what the heck was that, some brilliant coaching by Ty? Oh, you say that's not a big deal? I spent three days at ND that spring doing some interviews, Weis's first year, and when I brought up the question with someone on Weis's staff about "isn't it about time Quinn learned how to take a snap from center," the coach went off on a 10-minute riff about how I had hit the nail on the head, that you would see a completely different Quinn in 2005, and that turned out true. By the way, when I spent some time with Charlie on that same trip, he told me that this other coach should not have been talking to me without his permission, and I told Charlie if he wanted to blame anyone, don't blame the coach, blame me, and in so doing, keep in mind I don't work for you. My mistake. It was a bit downhill after that, even though I've known both Charlie and this other coach for many years---long before Charlie was even coaching at the college level.

Getting back to player development--what has transpired these last two years at ND baffles me----if Weis could put the final polish on guys like Quinn and Smarzdija, what has happened since?

Best, balanced recent column I"ve seen on Weis was Ian O'Connor's posted today. If ND beats USC---which is about as conceivable as Syracuse beating ND---then Weis probaly gets one more year. I wouldn't argue with that.

7. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

I never understood this line of thinking. If you ask me, if Notre Dame is able to beat USC, that's all the more reason Weis should be fired. If you can beat one of the best teams in the country on the road, then you have no business losing to Syracuse, or blowing big leads to Pittsburgh and North Carolina. Where was the coaching then?

Now, it could be that beating USC may save Charlie's job. But I don't think that it should. You can't make big decisions like this on one game.

8. In this case, it's somewhat valid, though in most cases, I agree with you.

One of the biggest knocks against Weis is that he can't motivate. A win at the Coliseum under these conditions would show that maybe he can, or that's he's figured that out.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I wouldn't worry.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Isn't the bloom off that asshole's rose by now?

11. Death

Death Member

Notre Dame isn't the place for on-the-job training for a first-time head coach. Weis may learn over time, but the school won't be patient, and shouldn't be expected to be, regardless of recruiting prowess.

33-point underdogs to the primary rival after a defeat at home to an 8-loss team coached by Robinson. Fuck, poor Jack Swarbrick took that new AD job, was handed the keys, only to open the door to his office and find the whole place on fire.

Decided Schematic Advantage. The bell tolls for thee.

Draft saved Draft deleted