1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teddy Greenstein skewers Weis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Nov 14, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-14-greenstein-charlie-weis-nnov14,0,669500,full.column

Beautiful. Nailed Tuna II to the wall.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Didn't realize how closely his record paralleled Faust... you stay classy Akron...

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

That's not fair. Tuna has actually, you know, won championships.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah, but will the original Tuna let you take a picture of his Super Bowl ring?

5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

People forget this about Faust---he beat a fair share of opponents who were ranked, including several top 10s. In fact, he beat two in one season--his second season---No. 10 Michigan and No. 1 Pitt. He also beat No. 7 South Carolina a year later and No. 6 LSU a year after that. Faust had a winning record against USC, 3-2, and he didn't lose a game by 30 or more points until two of his last three games coached at ND---when he already knew he was being canned. 15 of Faust's 25 losses were by 7 points or less.

As each year goes by, Faust looks better and better.

6. VJ

VJ Member

The Pryor anecdotes completely make that column. Great finish.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

PWNED

:eek: :eek:

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Strong stuff.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Having read the Halberstam book, I'm surprised Weis lasted as long as he did with Belechick.
    And really, those recruiting rankings are a joke. Notre Dame is never out of the top 15 in recruiting and it's been a long time since they FINISHED a season ranked in the top 15. Hell, next year's recruiting class probably can't remember the last time the Irish won a bowl game. They would have been FOUR YEARS OLD!
    I really don't understand the "awe" Weis inspires - the program is a step below South Florida at best as far as I can tell. And their schedule (both Washington schools and Stanford next year) is even less inspiring.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

What's really entertaining is the comments section. I just knew it would be full of the "How DARE you criticize anyone or anything connected with Notre Dame!" contingent.

11. I'm always fond of the "do some real research" comment from angry readers, as if there is some document in the courthouse that shows the transcript of team meetings or has those quotes from former players and boosters, who won't go on the record with you but most certainly did for the grand jury.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They'll never be back, until they toss their academic standards into the toilet.

Don't hold your breath.

Draft saved Draft deleted