1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teddy Greenstein on Tressel "resignation"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hate-Miser2, May 31, 2011.

1. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

I mentioned this in the Tressel Out thread on the sports/news board, but thought it may be good for discussion here.

Some of Greenstein's column on Tressel in the Tribune today, smacks of being too little, too late.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/greenstein/ct-spt-0531-tressel-ohio-state-chicag20110530,0,2866929.column

I don't remember Greenstein saying anything about "we all saw this coming" with Tressel before it actually came. Is it chicken-shit to write that now, when he wasn't willing to stick his neck out and say it before it happened? Here's something he wrote a month ago about Tressel, without any "we all see what's coming" to be found ...

"Teddy Greenstein, Chicago Tribune
    The Jim Tressel question comes down to this: Should one monumental screw-up end his reign? I’d be willing to give The Vest a second chance if he’d finally fess up about why he lied to the NCAA and failed to inform superiors that some players had traded their reputations for tattoos.
    It wasn’t that he was “scared” about an investigation involving the FBI. Tressel hid the truth because he didn’t want his players suspended and thought he could get away with it.
    Ohio State, though, will have to pull the plug if the NCAA treats the school as a repeat offender and decides to take away scholarships, TV time and victories from 2010. That stain will be too strong for Tressel to blot out."

And the quote about Tressel telling fellow Big Ten coaches 2 weeks ago that the NCAA has his head on a platter? Assuming he didn't just get that quote relayed to him on Monday, that would have been something that was worthy of being included in a story before now. I'm sure the quote was fed to him by Pat Fitzgerald, but if I was Greenstein's editor, I'd like to know when and under what context (on or off the record) it was obtained, and from whom. If it was off the record, why was it OK to use the quote in today's column?

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Any of this surprises you?

3. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

Perhaps the most irrelevant major-newspaper columnist I've ever run across. 18 inches of nothing.

4. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

I guess I don't read him enough to know how much of a lightweight he apparently is. Did he used to do the media column at the Trib?

5. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

He did. Now handles golf in the summer, colleges the rest of the year.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, I liked the column and used it. I thought his odds on the next coach were especially interesting.

Plus, the man doesn't wear you down with 28 inches of copy.

Draft saved Draft deleted