1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teddy Bear may bring 40 lashes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Nov 27, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What's agate?

2. You'd know if you didn't have government-run health care.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

To be fair, the title of that particular thread doesn't scream "teddy bear...mohammed...40 lashes." Just sayin'

4. So what, LJB? If my aunt had a dick, she'd be my uncle.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

They'd be packing her off to hell too.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

And the Muslims would twist an augur up your anal orifice for it.

7. So someone saying "You're going to hell for that" is the same as someone giving 40 lashes? That's a very odd comparison.

I guess that means someone who calls me a jerk is the same as someone who shoots me.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hey, it's not government-run.

It's government-funded.

Doesn't matter.

All the doctors have left town because our system is unsustainable.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Can someone from the right please explain to me why there's this mentality that seems to overlook two obvious facts: 1) Whether we think it's stupid or not, the woman very likely DID break the law of the land, therefore, she's eligible for punishment, stupid as it may be and 2) Just because some other country does something doesn't mean we should lower ourselves to that same level.

I don't like that this woman could get 40 lashes for a teddy bear, but I'm also not so stupid that I'll willingly do that in a country where it's against the law because, well, it's not that important for me to push the issue.

10. That's such a morally bankrupt view. Would you have defended the roundup of the Jews out of respect for German law? When injustices occur -- no matter what country -- the focus of any compassionate person should be on person(s) being victimized, not legalisms.

I'm the furthest you can imagine from a right-winger, but the response to some of these threads just stuns me. The only human and compassionate response to something like this should be, "Damn, that's awful. Let's hope for the best for this poor teacher."

Instead, we get relativism -- "Yeah, but the United States is bad, too" -- or demands that she be punished?? Sad, very sad.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm not in this woman's head, so I don't know what is her knowledge of the laws of the Sudan and the Muslim religion. But why would it occur to any reasonable, sane person that naming a teddy bear would result in a brutal whipping?

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Anyone getting waterboarded in the U.S. for naming a Teddy Bear Jesus?

Draft saved Draft deleted