1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ted Simmons is a beast, or, My Baseball Project

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Aug 13, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Bubs, this is all incredible interesting, but I think there might be some kind of therapy for this kind of thing.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I know at one point I'd been to the longest nine-inning regular season game and longest playoff game in history. Late Sept 1997, Yankees vs. Orioles, as well as Game Five of the '99 NLCS, which stood as the longest playoff game by time until Game Five of the '04 ALCS, which I was also fortunate enough to attend.

Fuck you, Braves-Astros!!!!

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This is my therapy.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

This thread inspired me to go back and find some games I went to:

August 18, 1989. Brewers 5, Red Sox 2. My first ever big league game. I was entranced. The grass seemed so bright. Those were my heroes playing down there. We were in Milwaukee for a family reunion and I convinced my dad to take me to a game. I would have eaten every vegetable, cleaned my room with military precision, been nice to my sister, anything to go to that game. My dad does not swear, but if he did, his view of that game would have been: "really fucking boring." Bill Krueger pitched like Sandy Koufax that day (4 innings, 0 hits, 0 walks, 6 Ks). The only problem was that he was a reliever. There isn't much excitement when a reliever throws a perfect four innings and there are no hits and no amazing plays in the field.

May 2, 1997. Dodgers 8, Cubs 7 (10 innings). I was in LA for a school trip and we got tickets to this game. Going to this game with a group of Cubs fans was schadenfreude heaven. Cubs go up 7-4 with a big 6th inning -- the immortal Dave Clark hits a pinch hit 3-run double and Sosa has a 2-run double -- and look to be cruising. Bottom of the 9th, Cubs still lead 7-6 and Mel Rojas comes out to get the save. Walks Piazza and Karros. Gets Mondesi and Hollandsworth to pop out. Looks like he is going to close the door. Then he walks Zeile to load the bases and the always imposing Wayne Kirby comes to bat. Wayne Kirby sucks, but not to the point where he is dumb enough to swing after watching Rojas walk the bases loaded. Kirby would have four RBIs for the Dodgers in 1997. He earned one of them by getting Rojas to walk in Piazza. In the 10th, Sosa misplays a double by Greg Gagne, who goes to third and then scores on a sacrifice by Tom Prince. I still remember two things: how absolutely gorgeous Chavez Ravine looks during a night game and my marketing teacher looking like someone shot his dog after that loss.

June 30, 2002. Twins 4, Brewers 3. First game I ever covered. I think I interviewed Ruben Quevedo before the game. I was way too nervous to step foot in the clubhouse, so I tried to talk to guys down on the field. I asked Dave Stewart, who was the pitching coach, for an interview. He glared at me with a look that would have made an opposing hitter shit his pants. I decided that maybe I didn't want to interview Dave Stewart. I also remember this game because it had one of those odd plays that writers dream about. Luis Vizcaino comes in during the bottom of the eighth, tie game, 1 out, runners on 1st and 2nd. Strikes out Tori Hunter. Walks Bobby Kielty to load the bases. Walks Dustan Mohr to give the Twins the lead. I look away to write something down, I hear cheers and look up to Luis Guzman crossing home plate. Vizcaino had balked in a run. After that game, I got my first experiences of having a teammate translate an interview. But it gave me an easy lede.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Life comma get a

Draft saved Draft deleted