1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ted Simmons: HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Now that guy definitely fails the eye test.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That was not the consensus opinion on the Jimmy Rollins thread.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

#LongGame

You set the whole thread up to get to that, didn't you?

4. Dick Whitman

Rollins has an MVP award, several Gold Gloves, and more than 460 stolen bases, all while playing another position that is not traditionally an offensive position.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The standards for catchers are different. They get the shit beat out of them and generally play fewer games.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

FWIW, I used to think these threads were ridiculous but I'm really starting to enjoy them.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Dick says HOF, we say "how high?"

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So, in other words. YES. Long game to get back to Rollins. I'll give it to ya, Dick, you're one conniving little fucker. Kudos to LTL for seeing the play first.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Yeah, I understand. And Rollins almost certainly doesn't deserve enshrinement. It's just interesting how quickly he was dismissed, considering the hit total. I had theorized that a generation ago, he would get more consideration because of those 2,500 hits, when counting stats were elevated in importance. But Simmons's quick plummet off the ballot shows that that's not necessarily the case. Unlike others, I think the BBWAA usually gets it right. But they've given us at least a few head-scratchers.

10. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Can we have a name for this occurrence? Like "dick-rolled" or "falling into the dick trap."

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The lackluster end to Simmons' career sure as hell didn't help him. He was an AS in 1983 with a .308 avg and 108 ribbies (when he still caught 86 games) but then went off a cliff in his last five years, playing his last three years for a terrible Braves team that finished 6th, 5th and 6th in the NL West:

1984 34 MIL AL .221/.269/.300
    1985 35 MIL AL .273/.342/.402
    1986 36 ATL NL .252/.313/.386
    1987 37 ATL NL .277 .350/.390
    1988 38 ATL NL.196 .293/.308

12. Dick Whitman

I'd like my team's catcher to go off whatever cliff he went off from 1985-87.

Draft saved Draft deleted