1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ted Simmons: HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

On top of that, keep in mind that I'm comparing him to someone who won 10 consecutive Gold Gloves behind the plate, not the median Hall of Famer at the position.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Johnny Bench? It's not a worthwhile comparison. Bench was Bench.

My first year with good memories of following baseball, the Big Red Machine swept the Yankees in the World Series. Heading into the series, someone asked Sparky Anderson to compare Thurman Munson to Bench. Munson had been the AL MVP that year. Anderson's response was, “Munson is an outstanding ballplayer and he would hit .300 in the National League, but don’t ever compare nobody to Johnny Bench; don’t never embarrass nobody by comparing them to Johnny Bench.”

It sounds like a typical "get under the other teams' skin" response, especially how beloved Munson was. But man, was he right -- and that is coming from someone who idolized(s) Munson.

Someone else on this thread said Simmons' numbers are comparable to Bench's except for home runs. Or something like that. I kind of shook my head. If you offered anyone in those days Johnny Bench or Ted Simmons, you would have had to throw in a ridiculous amount to sweeten the pot to get them to take Ted Simmons.

3. Dick Whitman

I know. I understand what he was getting at, but it reminded me of a few months ago, a friend on Facebook noted that, "The only difference between Ken Griffey, Jr., and Kenny Lofton was home runs."

Oh, you mean those 500 more home runs that he hit?

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

His glasses bothered me.

[​IMG]

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

None of those catchers were as good as Simmons. It's not even that close. Porter and Lance Parrish could hit, but it was more of a, "Good hitter for a catcher" thing. Simmons was a good hitter, period. The fact that he caught is what gives him a bit of Hall of Fame cred. Bob Boone and Tony Pena were both outstanding defensive catchers. but neither were near the hitters Simmons was.

Liut likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Simmons' top 10 similarity scores for career include six Hall of Famers and several borderline guys.
    1. Miguel Tejada (863)
    2. Alan Trammell (831)
    3. Joe Torre (820) *
    4. Carlton Fisk (819) *
    5. Gary Carter (817) *
    6. Lou Whitaker (817)
    7. Barry Larkin (807) *
    8. Joe Cronin (806) *
    9. Yogi Berra (803) *
    10. Jimmy Rollins (798)

Porter most closely resembles all-non HOFers, while Parrish has a better case (compares to Carter, Hartnett and way down Bench).

Tony Pena, meanwhile, compares most closely to Brad Ausmus...

Simmons definitely deserves more respect than to be grouped with Porter, Parrish and Pena.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

He didn't pass the eye test either.

9. Dick Whitman

Didn't Simmons have some drug issues at some point? During the great moral panic of the '80s and '90s, that seems like it would have been a potential factor for the writers as they pondered their ballot over a double vodka and tonic.

10. But Simmons also wasn't solely a catcher, when he hit Milwaukee his catching days were nearly behind him. He spent the last five years of his career as a DH, or at 1st/3rd or the OF. He was a valuable enough stick to warrant playing time.

Simmons was a good-to-great hitter and a good catcher. But he wasn't just a catcher. It's not comparable to stick him with Bench, Fisk or Carter or even Boone or Porter.
    Put Simmons hitting stats against other hitters - regardless of position. I think he falls short.
    Hall of Very Good.

11. You might be confusing him with Porter.

Although in the 80s, they prolly all had drug issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted