1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ted Kennedy to endorse Obama on Monday

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bristol Insider, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Anyone who feels that way isn't voting for a Democrat.

Not Obama, not anyone.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Obama seems like he'd be able to pull in more moderates than most.

You're right, in most cases, those voters likely aren't crossing the aisle. In Obama's case, they might -- but they won't after this.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And I'm saying, anyone who wouldn't vote for Obama BECAUSE Ted Kennedy endorsed him isn't a moderate.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't really think so.

Anyway, I think the Caroline Kennedy Op-Ed today was just as big. Kind of hard to miss that headline.

4. The Clintons will do no such thing.
    I know the Senior Senator is an object of (occasionally richly deserved) contempt, but you do not fuck with the Kennedys in national Democratic politics, and you especially don't fuck with JFK's memory, which is why Caroline means more than Teddy right now.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The only dangerous issue for the Dems regarding so much Kennedy-ness is that it can serve as red meat to awaken a potentially apathetic GOP base.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Of course, no one in the party will sully JFK with a 10-foot pole.

But what dooley said is right on.

7. I agree Zeke: I thought the Caroline Kennedy endorsement was huge: a.) Because she doesn't usually endorse candidates in the primary and b.) because she said Obama he would be a "President like my father." That's powerful stuff.

As, as for Ted's endorsement: Who the heck was Ted going to be campaigning for in the general election? John McCain? Mitt Romney? As long as he's alive, he's going to be supporting and presumably campaigning for the nominee of his party. And the GOP will keep trying to use that against the Dems. As best I can tell, it hasn't worked. Bill Clinton got elected twice and I can't remember Gore or Kerry going "Dang, if Ted Kennedy hadn't endorsed me, things would have turned out better."

I assume George W. Bush will endorse and support whomever the GOP nominates? I'm betting that endorsement (and the country's fatigue with him and his policies) will be much more of an albatross around the neck of the GOP's candidate in the general election than Ted Kennedy's endorsement will be to Obama.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I will - JFK one of our worst presidents.

Still though Ted Kennedy is a meaningful endorsentment for Obama that will help more than it will hurt. It could have domino effect on bringing in other endorsements.

9. dooley_womack1

He nailed Marilyn, you didn't. Get over it.

10. Boom_70

So George Washington nailed everyone and I thought he was a good president. Besides Marilyn has nothing on 21 who has a brain and is a better singer.

11. dooley_womack1

Has she ever stood above a subway grate in a dress, tho?

12. Boom_70

No -- remember I said that she has a brain.

She has stood at the bar at Stan's though in a dress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.