1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ted Ginn: Biggest bust of all time?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Det. Jimmy McNulty, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Anybody ever hear of hyperbole? I really doubt that the starter of this thread thinks that Ginn is actually the biggest bust of all-time.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

By the way, here are the No. 1 picks since 1990:

1990: Jeff George
    1991: Russell Maryland
    1992: Steve Emtman
    1993: Drew Bledsoe
    1994: Dan Wilkinson
    1995: Ki-Jana Carter
    1996: Keyshawn Johnson
    1997: Orlando Pace
    1998: Peyton Manning
    1999: Tim Couch
    2000: Courtney Brown
    2001: Michael Vick
    2002: David Carr
    2003: Carson Palmer
    2004: Eli Manning
    2005: Alex Smith
    2006: Mario Williams
    2007: JaMarcus Russell
    2008: Jake Long
    2009: Matthew Stafford

There are a few gems in there, but with a track record like this, no wonder teams rarely view getting the overall No. 1 pick as an opportunity.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Seriously, who are the successful picks out of that bunch? Wow. I count George, Maryland, Bledsoe, Keyshawn, Pace, Peyton (not a bad 3-year stretch there, though), Palmer, Eli and Williams. Too early to make a call on the last three, although Russell is running out of chances.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Took me a second on that one. Carter and Couch are good choices - I know George was super-hyped (and still is by Whitlock) but he did have decent career in the end. I'd put Carr into the mix as well.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Say what you will about Vick, and there's plenty to be said, but I'd put him with your list, too. He did have a 1,000-yard rushing season.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

7. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Maurice Clarett was never that great to begin with to be considered a bust in the first place. I saw the guy plod through humongous holes at Ohio State.

Either way, only a bust like Vernon Gholston can take away my NY Jets joy.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I knew Ginn was a bad pick the second they made it. So his sucking doesn't surprise me. Which makes it hard to consider him a bust.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You must not have witnessed the Jets' drafts of the 80s. Dave Cadigan. Mike Haight, ugh.

Johnny (Lam) Jones at least had some nice moments, even if he overall wasn't that great. Ken O'Brien, for all the Jets should have taken Marino talk, did end up having a very nice career, when he wasn't getting pummelled due to the Jets' perennially weak offensive line of the mid-to -late 80s.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Geez, this far in and no one has mentioned Aundray Bruce yet?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

True, but this would have been like me starting a thread Sunday, "Jeff Reed is the worst kicker EVER!"

Except at least that would have drawn a decent joke or two about Reed cutting a swath of destruction through every Sheetz bathroom in the tri-state area. Or perhaps a line about drowning his sorrows in the cleavage of some college girl who got into the bar that night with her fake ID. (Ok, somebody else would have had to provide the actual humor, but you get the point.)

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Ugh....I lived through those drafts. I bet Ken O'Brien still wakes up out of bed in the middle of the night, drenched in a cold sweat thinking he's about to get sacked again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.