1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Technogeek question -- TV tuner

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxer, Aug 31, 2010.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I had to pop for a new laptop a few weeks ago and got one with Windows 7, then saw the ad about how to use the computer as a DVR.

In looking through the Media Center program, I learned that I need an external TV tuner (plug one end into a USB port, screw the cable onto the other end).

The question is: What kind of tuner should I get? Brand names, price ranges, CPU requirements, etc.

I don't record much, but it would be nice to get a few things I want to watch. Apparently, my desktop (Vista) has similar software, so I could plug it in and save the laptop for work (desktop is in a different room from TV, but a cable splitter and about 50 feet of coaxial fixes that).

Neither computer has much on it except for what it came with (and a good chunk of that has been removed), so memory capacity shouldn't be an issue for now. I can always get an external hard drive to save things to if I want to keep them for repeated viewings.

If anyone who has a setup like this has advice, I thank you in advance.

Draft saved Draft deleted