1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Technical baseball question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Mar 15, 2020.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

If a guy steps up to the plate with a runner on and two outs, and the runner gets thrown out on a stolen base attempt to end the inning, is the hitter still credited with a plate appearance?

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

According to this, no.

What is a Plate Appearance (PA)? | Glossary

maumann likes this.
  3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

No, he leads off the next inning. Seen it before

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Could be pinch-hit for. Or it could end the game.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I can’t see how it would be a PA, even in the circumstances TSP mentioned. There was no outcome to it, so there’s no way it could be scored.

6. wchDr

wchDr New Member

Ok, let's keep this going (baseball rules are so fun). A batter is hit by pitch, runs to first, overruns the base, and then makes the turn toward second. Live runner that can be thrown out?

(also, same question for a BB or dropped 3rd strike)

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

HBP the ball is dead, so my guess is no. The ball is live in the other scenarios, so my guess is yes.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I did see this weird one once: Guy on first goes to steal second on a full count, and the batter walks. Catcher throws to second, and the runner overslides the base. Shortstop makes the tag and gets the out, since the runner had already gotten second base and was technically on his way to third according to the rules.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's got to be wrong. If he slid into second base, he was not on his way to third base. Unless he trotted into second and turned toward third base, there's no way he's out.

I'd protest the shit out of that one (and it would ultimately be upheld because no game played under protest has ever been overturned in the history of baseball).

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It was in a college game. I think it was the NCAA super regional with LSU and Stony Brook in 2012 or so. I know the team that was batting was LSU.
    The runner tagged second base, but came off the bag on the slide. So, in effect, the ruling was that he had gotten the base he was entitled to and gave it up to try for third. He then was tagged out before he could get back on the bag.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

All you had to say was Stony Brook.

On ball four it's a dead play and the runner at first is awarded second. I would have awarded Stony Brook's coach a misdemeanor on the crew chief.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

If he was sliding into the bag, that's a horseshit call. He made no effort toward third base.

Draft saved Draft deleted