1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tech help needed - feeling like an idiot

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 2, 2013.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm trying to backup a large amount of files from my computer to a flash drive before I do an upgrade on the computer.
    Was able to copy the first folder of files to the flash drive fine.
    Now I'm trying to copy a 12 GB folder to the 32GB flash drive and am getting an error message that the disc is write-protected and I can't copy to it.
    I didn't turn on the write-protection and am feeling like an idiot that I can't figure out how to check about turning it off. The flashdrive manufacturer's website is worthless in helping me with this.
    Can anyone help out a poor soul still using XP?
    Thanks.

2. EStreetJoe

Just called SanDisk tech support about the problem.
    The solution? The drive is defective and return it to place of purchase for an exchange.
    Great. The only files that got copied over were my resume and cover letters. But versions of my resume with my name and address that I'd love to delete before returning but can't because the damn thing is write protected. Can't even reformat the damn drive.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Download Google Drive?

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Check and see how the flash drive is formatted. FAT32 or NTFS. From the list of drives under My Computer, right click on the flash drive and select Properties to see what format it is.

FAT32 has a file size limitation that might be the source of your problem.

If the flash drive is formatted as FAT32, then I would consider copying all of the files off the flash drive back on to your hard drive, THEN reformatting the flash drive with the NTFS format (making damn sure you are formatting the right drive, don't screw up and reformat your hard disk).

From there, begin copying the desired files back from the hard drive over to your newly formatted NTFS flash drive. See if that works.

Just saw your replies. Weird. I would still try the above before sending it back.

5. EStreetJoe

Vom -- I would love to reformat the drive and have tried to, but it won't let me reformat the drive because it's write-protected.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

is this an SD card? or a flash drive?

some have a little slider that puts the drive into write protect. look for that ...

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Try rebooting computer before calling us.

8. EStreetJoe

It's a FlashDrive that went into write-protect mode while in the drive.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Have you rebooted?

10. Songbird

It seems like you should get a gmail address because of the suite of services Google offers -- most notably Google Drive.

Then upload everything from the old computer (even if you have to cut and paste a bunch of things into new documents) into the cloud, then download it onto the new computer.

At least that way the info is available on any device.

11. EStreetJoe

Buck and Boom -- as expected rebooting did nada for the problem.
    Xan - will look into the Google Drive, but want something inexpensive I can upload around 30GB of data to for a few hours or a day tops.

12. Songbird

Google Drive is free. All you need is a gmail address. Drive is part of the suite.

Draft saved Draft deleted