1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tebow's success explained with stats

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Nov 29, 2011.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Herbert Anchovy said that Tebow's style was dishonorable to professional football.
    RickStain said that the Broncos have done everything possible to minimize Tebow's effect on the game. Even after he had more carries than any NFL qb in 60 years.

If anybody wanted to take the time, they could find more from a few weeks ago.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I believe MileHigh, whom I very much respect (and not just for his ability to boot me), has also said they are winning in spite of him.

Oop -- I said turnovers are the "most important factor." I did not say they were the "only thing that matters" as you re-engineered it to say. I don't think you'll find a coach, analyst or reporter who would disagree that turnovers are the number one indicator of success.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Quarterback rating sucks, and any argument based around it sucks.

Deep enough for you? I try not to go too far, because I don't want to leave people behind.

4. RickStain

And I stand by it.

The Tebow plan is to muck up the game and hope the roulette wheel lands on your color. It's happened a few times, but nobody's run of good luck lasts forever.

The turnovers will come. Oh, shall they come.

5. RickStain

Stand by that, too. Giving him the ball to run 3 yard bootlegs and praying that he doesn't try to throw it isn't exactly letting him affect the outcome.

6. LongTimeListener

At this point I think the Broncos could reach the Super Bowl, lose by 17 points as the Packers finish a 19-0 season, and people all over the country and all over this board would say "See?!?! I told you it can't work!"

7. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

Denver had a punt and interception return for touchdown during the first five games when Orton was the starter so you can't say Tebow was any more "lucky" in terms of points scored.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

How hard can it be to defend the Tebow read option? Yes it murders the two deep zone, but do you really need that against Tebow? The man cannot throw consistently downfield. Load up with 8 in the box and have the safety spy Tebow. That's how we defended the veer in '78. Safety/rover takes QB, OLB takes pitch guy.

9. LongTimeListener

Please report to the nearest AFC West team headquarters, as no defensive coordinator has considered this remarkably simple solution as of yet.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are overrrating turnovers, especially in light of the factors I brought up. The defense has been so good that it allows the Broncos to be incredibly conservative on offense, which limits turnovers. Also, the offense is designed to take care of the ball rather than to try to score a lot of points.

What they asked Orton to do is nothing like what they are asking Tebow to do, so comparing the turnovers and nothing else is just another example of the lazy, over-simplistic thought that goes into your side of the argument.

11. LongTimeListener

It is posts like these that make me love Tebow even more. poin, I know you're with me.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The anti Tebow crowd is smug if nothing else. Tebow carried more times than any Qb in 60 years. Made the read option on a bunch of McGahee carries, and threw the ball 18 times. And Stain will swear that the Broncos did everything in their power to MINIMIZE Tebow's effect on the game. Stain would piss on your leg, swear to you its raining, and brag he's a meteorologist.

Draft saved Draft deleted