1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tebow's success explained with stats

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Nov 29, 2011.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Bullshit, it's God.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I broke it out on the previous NFL week thread, but basically the Broncos have improved by 10 yards per drive in the area of opponents' average drive start and have allowed no defensive touchdowns.

I cannot for the life of me understand how protecting the ball and letting a good defense do its work is a bad thing. The number of quarterbacks who have made the playoffs this way would number in the dozens if not hundreds.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

NFL Network said that the Broncos are averaging four more minutes in possession in Tebow games. If each team was averaging 30 minutes a game pre-Tebow, it is now 32-28 Broncos. The Broncos have the ball 13.3% more, the defense is on the field 13.3% less.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Good stat, Poin, thanks.

There's no question the defense is helping the Broncos win games, but that stat certainly seems to indicate that Tebow is helping the defense in ways that Orton was not.

But, of course, it all stresses that football is a TEAM sport and while one player will always have an effect on an outcome, no single player determines it.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Actually, the Broncos offense is averaging 17 points with the Tebow. Broncos have a punt return and interception return for a touchdown during the past six games.

In their last 25 drives, the Broncos have two touchdowns.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But they were glorious.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

In something like their last 50 drives, the Colts have only had three plays inside the red zone (one for a touchdown). Now THAT'S pathetic. :D

8. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

In 2009 Drew Brees threw 11 interceptions. Four QB's, who had a similar number of pass attempts, (Romo, Rodgers, Rivers and Favre) all threw less. Brees won the Super Bowl.

INT's are very costly but I think when you throw them is a big part of it. If Brees threw all 11 of his in the first half they are way less costly than someone like Favre or Rivers throwing nine all in the fourth quarter.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Have you watched the Colts this year?

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Alex Smith is Prime Example #1. Right now Smith >> Eli Manning. Did I just write that?

11. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

That Colts team would not win more than 6 games with Peyton this year and that's being generous.

12. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

As soon as they "clinch" the top pick they will win a game.

Draft saved Draft deleted