1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tebow's success explained with stats

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And were "Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil and the rest of the defense" not playing when this same team was 1-4 with Kyle Orton?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Raiders and Chargers beat Broncos in Denver while Orton was starting.

Broncos beat Raiders and Chargers on road while Tebow was starting.

The rest of it is mostly a wash -- the only truly unwinnable game was in Green Bay, Orton also played Tennessee and Cincinnati while Tebow has faced the Jets.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

How many games had Palmer started before the Bronco game?

A healthy Jason Campbell is better than Palmer starting his first game with a week of practice.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

To illustrate my point.

The Broncos gave up an average of 28 points per game in the first five contests of the season. Maybe those guys on defense were playing, but they certainly weren't playing as well. That average has dropped to 20 points per game over the last six, and even that is skewed by the 45 points the Lions hung on them. In the five victories, the Broncos have given up an average of only 15 points per game.

The Broncos' offense, by the way, is averaging only 19.3 points per game in six contests with Tebow, down from 22.0 without him.

Are there other factors at play, such as the turnovers leading to points for the other team? Sure. But at least I'm acknowledging the potential flaw in my numbers, something those praying to tha altar of Tebow refuse to do with theirs.

5. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

So Tebow's numbers are better because the other two guys threw huge picks to lose games, while Tebow did not. You are right then. It is a sham. It puts too much emphasis on shitty, game-losing throws.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's my opinion that if a quarterback threw no interceptions in a season, his team would have a better won-loss record than an equivalent team in other aspects whose quarterback threw for 4000-5000 yards, 30-plus touchdowns, but had 15-20 interceptions, even if said quarterback threw for less than 150 yards a game. Interceptions are the single biggest play in the game.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Those picks are huge, cost the teams the game and should be punitive to a QB's rating but the system weighs a hail mary pick at the end of the half in the same manner.

The system is stupid.

8. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I would agree with this. And this is why I think guys like Montana, Young and Rodgers are the cream of the crop. They make nice plays, but they almost never throw picks. Rodgers' INT % numbers are pretty insane.

9. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Touche

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I haven't had time to look up the stats, but could it be that time of possession is helping the Broncos cut down the number of points they're allowing as well? Could Tebow's running ability be helping out by keeping the defense off the field for longer than Orton did?

I have no idea if the stats will bear that out between the first five games and the last six, but it seems like it could be a distinct possibility.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It could be argued that over the long haul, all QBs will "suffer" the same number of Hail-Mary interception hits to their passer rating, and thus, as stupid as it is to penalize a QB for such a throw, it doesn't "help" Tebow and "hurt" a so-called real quarterback. If the Broncos are on the 50 with 2 seconds left in the half, Tebow will fling one into the end zone, same as any other QB.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

haha, I forgot about the "honorable way to play" comment.. Good god, there are some real tools on this board.

Draft saved Draft deleted