1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tebow - what is his future?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Jan 10, 2012.

?

At this point, where do you think Tebow's career path will end?

1. HOF (Brady, Manning)

1.5%
  2. Very good pro (Stabler, Cunningham)

9.0%
  3. Solid pro (DeBerg, Krieg)

37.3%
  4. Below average pro QB (Batch, Bulger)

46.3%
  5. Will be moved to another position

1.5%
  6. Out of the league in two years (Leaf, Russell)

4.5%
  1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I love Waylon Jennings.

How are Charlie Batch and Marc Bulger in the same category? Batch is basically a career back-up, a serviceable one, but still a back-up, and when he was a starter in Detroit, his numbers pale next to Bulger's best years with the Rams. Bulger had several seasons where he was a pretty decent starting QB.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I thought it was strange too, but we were told not to argue about the comparisons. But if a two-time pro bowl QB is below average, then the Bears qb position for the last six decades has been worse than I thought, and damn it was pretty bad to begin with.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I got no real idea how Tebow will turn out. I took a stab with solid pro QB. Figured that would be a happy medium. But I have a feeling he will either flame out or go big. A lot of it depends on how patient Elway will be, and I don't think he will be very patient. But if the Bronos continue to build their team to fit a system that will allow Tebow to succeed, and he improves his throwing motion, maybe he turns into a southpaw version of Big Ben. Regardless, I think he would be great in the CFL. He has Henry Burris written all over him, even succeeds in a similar system.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Actually the comps for this poll are more interesting than the poll itself.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

To me a below average QB is a player who was pushed out of his position in his prime. If you are pushed out, to me, that means you are just not that good. IIRC, people were constantly trying to replace Bulger his entire career.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Bulger's similarities through Year 3 are Elway, Kosar, Kelly, Cutler and Namath, among others. The talent around him just began to deteriorate after a point.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BulgMa00.htm

That's not a bad career for a sixth-round draft choice.

7. Raiders

Raiders Guest

[​IMG]

Toast of the Nation.
    No Preservatives or Artificial Ingredients.

Ask for Tebow Blue Font Wonder Bread by name!

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think we'll be getting paid holidays on his birthday and paying hundreds of dollars and standing in line for hours just to smell him. ;D

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

One who was cut more than once before he got a shot to play, too. The only comparisons I see to Batch are that both are from Pittsburgh and both had their time as NFL starters limited by injuries.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think Tebow is going to rain pestulance and death on the Patriots -- if he isn't raptured first.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

From the Wikipedias:

On September 10, 2006, in a game against the Denver Broncos, Bulger reached 1,000 completions faster than any quarterback in NFL history. Bulger achieved this in 45 games, two games less than ex-Rams QB Kurt Warner. Drew Bledsoe and Peyton Manning needed 48 games, and it took Dan Marino 49.[1]

But he was totally below average.

HA makes a very good point, about the talent level surrounding him, especially on the offensive line which deteriorated quickly as injuries and age started to mount. That and his own injuries started to add up, as OOP points out.
    Hall of famer? no but certainly he was a very good QB and had a few years of being an elite QB during the prime of his career.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Does wiki go into much detail about the next three seasons of his career, where he had a TD/INT ratio of 27/34 and was out of football by the time he was 32?

He also had Jackson and Holt, so there was some talent on those teams.

Draft saved Draft deleted