1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tebow To Washington?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Earthman, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

After electing a Kenyan and (soon) a Canadian, by 2024 Tebow will be right in line.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

No, here's how it is going down:
    [​IMG]

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with this. I'm not a big fan, but I respect him. I appreciate that he seems genuine in his faith and true to his beliefs, but not especially preachy or judgemental. I hope if he goes into politics he can stay that way.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Would have been a slow inaugural parade behind that tractor as well.

Vombatus and SpeedTchr like this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

He'd be a tool of the Freedom Caucus, which means he'd do nothing, vote for nothing and decry the federal government in which he served. In other words, Ted Cruz.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think if Tebow checked with other football players/celebrities recruited to run for Congress they would find them disillusioned. Perhaps they were overly idealistic in what the job was or felt they were used more than they were listened to by party leaders - but I don't think it's a coincidence that Largent, Watts, and Shuler all bailed out for lobbying gigs after a few terms. Some of it I'm sure was the money, but a bigger part was being able to get a sense of accomplishing something concrete. Posting a win or a loss, if you will.

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Shuler bailed because he was a Blue Dog Democrat representing a slight majority Republican district when the state legislature redrew his district to make it impossible for a Democrat to win.

He had a decent career as a congressman - better than his football stint in Washington, anyway - and many in Western North Carolina thought he would have run again if a campaign was viable.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A few years ago, I remember an article in which multiple Congresspeople were interviewed from both sides of the aisle about how much time they had to spend fundraising, both for themselves and their party. They were spending roughly half their time raising funds, instead of using it to either help their constituents or work on legislation. They said they weren't too happy that they had to spend so much time, and complained about party pressures on fundraising. They sounded quite disillusioned.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I just read about this election and there are about 18 potential Republican candidates with extensive backgrounds in Jacksonville politics who're likely or possible to run. The Tebow story was clearly the product of some overly enthusiastic or maybe merely drunk inside the Beltway political type finding a reporter who knew a good story when he heard it, even if he knew it was likely bullshit.

10. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

It's new day. Extensive political backgrounds seem to be more of a hindrance now.

Draft saved Draft deleted