1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tebow to appear in Focus on the Family commercial during SB XLIV

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

My wise old grandfather once told me, "A true Christian doesn't have to tell you he's a Christian. You can see it in his actions."

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Since when?

Every kid in America was told to play sports and live life their life the way Pete Rose played the game of baseball.

Nike spent 100's of millions of dollars telling us to "be like Mike".

Mike Eruzione and Rudy have made careers of telling their underdog stories. (And Rudy got a movie made about him.)

The Christian aspect of Tebow's story looks like the difference to me and is mentioned in much of the criticism of him.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Tebow has been telling people how to life their life as much as he tells them how he lives his life. If you resent hearing someone say he has as relationship with Christ and has certain moral values, don't listen to his interviews. And from what I've been able to gather about the subject matter of the commercial, it's he and his parents talking about a decision his mother made not to have an abortion (recommended by doctors because of her illness), and how that turned out with Tim's birth. It's not going to be preaching to people NOT to have abortions, merely relating an experience of what happened when someone made a choice.

4. YankeeFan

But does he say that?

I follow college football with less than one eye, but I don't believe he's ever said anything like that and i don't believe that he's been shown to be any kind of a hypocrite.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Again, show me evidence that Tebow is telling you people you have to be Christians, or better Christians. I think if you go back to his interviews, it's mostly telling people how he lives his life without passing judgement or theirs.

6. I thought the Politics Board was shut down?

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The Repeat Browns demand you show them the lack of respect they deserve.

8. YankeeFan

Right: "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." (John 13:35)

Or as the hymn goes, "They will know we are Christians by our love."

But there's nothing that requires him to be quite or ashamed of his beliefs.

He's a proud Christian.

If he was a proud homosexual, Muslim, Democrat, vegan, environmentalist, or any other noun that I could substitute, the agents of tolerance would be celebrating him.

Yet he receives scorn and ridicule and people here root for him to fail.

9. And off we go.

Again, people don't have that reaction to Tebow because he's Christian. They have it because they are. And they get tired of hearing that he's a better Christian and a better person than they are because he goes to other countries and converts all the heathen savages.

And who hates him anyway? All I ever hear is him getting praised left and right.

10. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Oh, here we go. WAHHHHHHH.

Poor abused Christians.

Give me a freakin' break.

Jesus also tells his disciples to pray to their Father in secret, not in public that they may be seen of men.

11. YankeeFan

Oh, and Waylon, I understand that a large percentage of America identifies itself as Christian, but I don't think Tebow is anywhere near as unpopular with the general public as he is here, on SportsJournalists.com.

If this was a case of people -- sports journalists -- on the inside knowing what he's like and having different opinion than that of the general public, I'd be interested.

Mike Krzyzewski and others come to mind.

But no one that I know of has said that he's any different than his public persona.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If he were a devout Muslim, he wouldn't be getting 1/20th the attention he's getting now, and he wouldn't be starring in a Super Bowl commercial.

And that is, of course, part of the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.