1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tebow to appear in Focus on the Family commercial during SB XLIV

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Football clearly leads in the clubhouse in this area . . . of course, he'll
    have his fanny patted if it ever becomes evident that he could, like, actually help an NFL team win a league game, or something . . .

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

What can he specialize at? He can't throw, and his running game is only effective in the college game because of the spread. He's sure as hell not fast enough to be an effective runner in the NFL, and if he tries to go up the middle more than about twice, he's gonna be having a face-to-face come-to-Jesus meeting.

3. cortez

cortez Member

I can hear James Brown now: "A very strong message from Tim Tebow. An impressive young man, indeed.''
    Blah, blah, blah

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If he talks about Jesus and God and their influences in his life, his teammates won't be perturbed.

If he starts talking about they're all going to hell because they're hanging out at the bar with good-looking women, his teammates will probably tell him where to go.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Tebow wants to share his story, got no problem with it. Does he have a history of preaching to teammates? The only thing more annoying than Christians is anti-Christians telling them how they're supposed to act as Christians.

6. Is that what he does, though? Florida isn't exactly BYU, and he certainly seemed to fit in just fine on that team.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is there a reason, other than his Christian beliefs, that people hate Tebow?

I don't think he's ever said that he's the best person/Christian/football player. I understand that others have hyped him, but is that a reason to hate him?

For those who have dealt with him, is he a bad teammate? Is he a hypocrite? Is he disingenuous?

I mean, we all complain about athletes who get in trouble with the law, or who are selfish, and about control freak/arrogant coaches.

This guy seems like a nice kid, who's worked hard. He's been a leader on his team and been successful. And from what I can tell, he's lived by his values.

8. People don't hate him. It's like Tyler Hansbrough. They hate the incessant hype. And, with those two especially, it becomes not just that they are the greatest athlete in the history of the sport, but also that they are better people than you could ever hope to be. That gets tiring after a while.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

So you're telling me the NFL has no problem letting thugs like Ray Lewis, Leonard Little, Michael Vick, etc., play in the league, but Tebow's draft status will be affected by doing a pro-life commercial?
    Get real.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I get that, but there are a lot of people who are tooting for him to fail or who would love for him to be caught in an uncompromising situation.

What's wrong with rooting for a good guy?

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

People resent being told they should be like a certain somebody, or that being very strongly implied.

One of the two has been happening with this guy for the last few years.

12. YF, not sure where you're headed with this, but if you're thinking what you seem to imply, 90 percent of this country claims Christianity as its religion. People don't dislike Tim Tebow for being a Christian. If anything, they tire of being told he's a better Christian than they are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.