1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tebow saves ... baseball?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Aug 9, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Just throw it at the bull, alright? Trust me."

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A lot closer than "whiffing."

He made it to training camp and made it to the second-to-last round of cuts. How many players don't even make it that far?

"Whiffing" would be if he didn't make it past a tryout, or was cut at minicamp.

3. LongTimeListener

Ugh.

What DD said.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I know you feel compelled to stick up for a wrestler because it's your thing, but I'm not sure I could make this any clearer.

One of the NFL's dumbest coaches signed him as a novelty act.

He played in one preseason game, and didn't enter until there was 3 mins to play.

In the highlights, which are available on YouTube, he basically gets owned on most plays.

There were two full cuts after he was cut.

No other NFL team offered him a spot on their practice squad.

A lot of people interviewed said stuff like "He had a great attitude" and "He worked really hard" which is NFL speak for "He cannot play."

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If Tebow gets as close to making an MLB team as Lesnar did the Vikings, it will be a huge story.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Ugh. I'd hate to calculate what I would've hit.

7. Baron Scicluna

And again.

He walked off the street. He had been injured in a motorcycle accident. He lasted longer than a lot of players who had played in college. He actually got playing time in the preseason.

He did not "whiff."

No other NFL team offered Johnny Unitas a shot after the Steelers cut him until the Colts signed him. If Unitas "whiffed," then why do fans still criticize the Steelers for cutting him?

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I can see Tebow playing AA ball.

BTW it's pretty amazing that Tebow is a joke and shunned yet Adrian Peterson is a popular figure whose 'transgressions' are impolitic to discuss.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Let's be real: When Tim plays for some independent league team (hell, when he has a tryout for a handful of bored scouts) it will be viewed as a huge story. It's Tebow. The spotlight never dims.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Watching people debate the difference between "whiffing" and "pretty close to making the team" sure is fun!

Lugnuts and YankeeFan like this.
  11. LongTimeListener

It's quite an experience to watch a high school game today. Anything 300' or more down the line is essentially unreachable at least to the JV level. Bunting is very fashionable again.

12. Baron Scicluna

Look at how much coverage Michael Jordan got for baseball. And that was the pre-Internet era.

And for the record, I don't think MJ "whiffed" in his attempt to play baseball. Considering he hadn't played since Little League, hitting .200 and stealing 30-something bases at a level that many minor leaguers never end up reaching is not "whiffing."

Maybe not "close to making the majors." But not "whiffing."

Draft saved Draft deleted