1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tebow saves ... baseball?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Aug 9, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I mean, he basically walked off the street and into the Combine, where he did well enough to garner interest. Then, he signed with the Vikings and within a week or two was on the field for preseason games. Three months removed from a pretty bad motorcycle accident, mind you.

All on little other than raw athletic ability. The same ability Tebow has.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Is that "pretty close to making the team?"

I suppose we may simply have an different interpretation of what that means.

I've covered a lot of NFL training camps. Failing to survive the second wave of cuts (much less the third, then fourth and final wave) is not close to making the team.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

4. Double Down

From Mike Tice. Let's keep that in perspective too.

Big Circus and JackReacher like this.
  5. MisterCreosote

I guess it's all relative. He came 1 million times closer to making an NFL team than just about anyone else on the planet would have under the same circumstances.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I saw something that he hit .494 in his last year of high school.

In addition to the normal caution -- duh, it was only high school -- keep in mind that was in the era with the old bats with the massive trampoline effect. Transported back in time with the deader BBCOR bats of today, he probably wouldn't have hit .400.

I'm all for him giving it a shot, but I don't think he will be any better than Garth Brooks was.

7. Double Down

Which is fine to say, but this MMA/WWE fanboy narrative that he almost made the team is not accurate. That was my original objection.

It's really hard to make it to the NFL. A lot of really strong, really badass MFers don't make it every year because they're not good enough at football.

As for Tim, if he could hit 90 on the gun (not totally out of the question) I would think pitching would be a much more realistic shot. Maybe as a lefty reliever who threw fastballs and changeups.

I cannot imagine a scenario where, at 28, he could teach himself to hit MLB pitching, much less minor league pitching.

YankeeFan and MisterCreosote like this.
  8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Is he trying to make it as a pitcher or position player? If he can throw 90 mph as a lefty, some team will give him a shot.

10. MisterCreosote

The story I read said he was trying to make it as an outfielder.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If he could throw 90 as a lefty he'd be in the NFL

CD Boogie likes this.
  12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

He COULD throw a football 90 mph ... just not where anyone on his team could catch it.

Lugnuts likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted