1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tebow saves ... baseball?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Brock Lesnar. Pro wrestler/UFC guy who didn't make it in the NFL

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He could have been a good pinch runner, but then they had to go and put in the Buster Posey and Ruben Tejada rules.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He didn't whiff. He came pretty close to making the team in spite of having little-to-none football experience. Several Vikings said he would have been good if he had some experience playing the game.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was kind of my point, though poorly made.

Lesnar almost made it to the NFL on raw athletic ability and little else. It's not outlandish to believe Tebow could do the same in MLB.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No one should try anything, ever.

old_tony, sgreenwell, Lugnuts and 4 others like this.
  6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to be blunt here, but in no fanboy fantasy did he come "pretty close to making the team." There was a whole other WAVE of cuts AFTER he was released. He did not even do enough to earn a spot on the Vikings practice squad (nor did he have other offers to play on another NFL practice squad), and instead was asked if he'd like to go to NFL Europe which is about as far from making an NFL roster as AA baseball is to making the MLB.

He is a great athlete. Maybe an all-time great. He was in no way close to making it to the NFL.

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Stephen Neal better wrestler and football player than Brock Lesnar.

8. Baron Scicluna

True. Neal beat Lesnar, and Lesnar's still pissed about it.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

As a Vol fan boi, there are not many athletes I loathe more than Tebow.

But FFS, I really don't get what he's trying to do; he has a great TV presence and can be set for life working in that medium...and I know first-hand how some ex-jocks can turn working in TV into a quasi-athletic event that continues to stoke their competitive fires. Why, Timmy, why?

HanSenSE and Lugnuts like this.
  10. LongTimeListener

Maybe he is different from those guys you know. Maybe he is 28 years old and still wants actual competition.

TigerVols and Double Down like this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

Mike Tice's goal for him was to make the practice squad, since he hadn't had any experience. Lesnar had been slowed by injuries in a motorcycle accident a few months before, and still had a lot to learn. NFL Europe would have been about right for him, but he chose not to do it to spend more time with family.

12. LongTimeListener

Baron, do you think all of what you said there in any way equates to "pretty close to making the team"?

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted