1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tebow saves ... baseball?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Aug 9, 2016.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Or, they just have had shitty owners, the most damaging curse of all. See: Red Sox and Cubs.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The Yawkeys weren't shitty owners*. In the 40's, 70's, 80's, and late 90's the Red Sox were good. Yawkey was known for treating players well. There were some shitty decisions along the way, but I don't know if they were worse than any other team's collection of shitty decisions.

*Except for the refusal to integrate, which explains how the team wasted the 1950s and most of the 1960s.

3. sgreenwell

That's a pretty big "except" though.

tapintoamerica and YankeeFan like this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Aside from that brief disturbance during Act III, scene 2, how was the performance of “Our American Cousin,” Mrs. Lincoln?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's like the racism is excused - except that it hurt the Sox chance at winning.

6. justgladtobehere

Strictly as something affecting the team's chances to win. There is an idea out there that the Red Sox sucked for 86 years, but it is not accurate. The Cubs sucked.

7. sgreenwell

I guess! I mean, I'm a Red Sox fan, but I was born in 84, so it's not like I lived through a bunch of misery. I feel like before the late 90s, whatever success the Red Sox had seemed to be momentary blips. Like, my first playoff memories of the team were the Oakland Athletics kicking the shit out of us. When teams have good ownership and management situations, the curses seem to go away.

8. justgladtobehere

After WWII the Red Sox were good for the rest of the decade and they were pretty good in the 1970s in a very tough division. Ton of talent after 1975.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Nobody ever accused Finley of being a good owner, but he pretty much put those '70s A's teams together himself.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The key to Boston's success in the 2000s was the fact that they had more good steroid abusers than the Yankees.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Best hot takes in recent days:

1. The Red Sox's owners were great, except for those two decades when their racism hobbled their roster.

B. That Penn State women's basketball coach sure was great, and was a terrific person, as long as you ignore her bigotry against lesbians.

iii. There's no such thing as plagiarism on a message board.

12. justgladtobehere

1 is not what was claimed. I pointed out the Red Sox were not a suck ass team for 86 years as they have been portrayed.

Draft saved Draft deleted