1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tebow saves ... baseball?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I just looked at the same thing, though I had 1 for 11. Must have missed a game on the log I was looking at.

Only two strikeouts in those 11 ABs, though, which is a silver lining.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I just looked at his BaseballReference.com total. Might have subtracted wrong.

I'd like to see him succeed. Would be a cool story. There's guys that are probably worse than he could be who have bouncing around MLB outfields for years -- Mat den Dekker (former Met), Ryan Lagerhans, and Kirk Niewenhuis (former Met) come to mind. Mets traffic in such guys. Of course, they were close to a decade younger when coming up, so there's that.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

den Dekker had seasons where he hit .346 in A ball, .340 in AA and .334 in triple-A. Numbers Tebow will never come close to matching.

Nice story. Nice guy. No prospect.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

While everyone debates what kind of prospect he is, why do I think Tebow is just thinking it's nice not to have to get a real job for a few more years, maybe?

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

When this season wraps up, he gets to head back to the desk at SEC Network. Assuming he invested his Broncos signing bonus wisely, that should be sufficient.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

As the saying goes, you cannot make this stuff up:

Iron_chet and YankeeFan like this.
  7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't think he's ever going to be a legit big leaguer or anything, but I am beginning to wonder if he might have been if he'd made baseball his main sport as a teenager.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Weird to see Daniel Bard on that Mets' org chart, and then to see he had 19 walks in 8.2 innings. Yikes.

Tebow-as-baseballer from the start probably doesn't strike out as much, but I don't think think his speed and power numbers would be substantially better.

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

If you don't tear up when the kid gets back to his seat, you have no soul.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When I saw the headline, I figured it was an Onion headline.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted