1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tearing up Chicago

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NotCalvinsKid, Aug 15, 2006.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

You're right, Boom, you might..oh wait, I don't live in Chicago.

P.S. My post was a reference to Half Baked. Thanks, though.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

look tits mcgee seems like the perfect handle for chi town dancer. i notice that you have a 1000 posts so you must have just changed to tits . I've not noticed you before.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

You remember when you were young and happy, right, Boom?

Let the kid have her fun.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

It's a reference to Anchorman..the name that is.  I've been here awhile, and yes, I just recently changed the name.

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Thanks Pallister! (and only you are allowed to call me kid.. you're makin me feel like chuck~taylor or COCKDIAN) :)

6. If you're looking for bars, just make a beeline to Wrigleyville, Lakeview and Lincoln Park.

Wrigleyville is, obviously the area surrounding Wrigley. Normally ok and they're are some pretty cool bars beyond the ones just across the street and down the block from Wrigley. (Look over on Southport Ave.) Be forewarned though, most places in Wrigleyville are probably going to be PACKED during a Cubs-Cardinals summer weekend.

Lakeview is the neighborhood that spreads a few more blocks from Wrigleyville. (Wrigleyville is like a subset of Lakeview.) East of the park is Halsted St., and the stretch from just north of Addison St. to Belmont Ave. has plenty of gay bars. But there are plenty of other bars all over Lakeview.

Lincoln Park, the neighborhood - as opposed to the park adjacent to it by the same name, is just south of Lakeview and also has plenty of bars and clubs. Because the area's close to DePaul, the crowd might be slightly (a few years) younger than the crowd in Lakeview/Wrigleyville. But it's not a huge difference.

All of these areas are a short ride from downtown. Or you can easily take the el to all of them (and it's reasonably safe.) Lincoln Park's about a 20 mintue ride from the South End of downtown, where you're staying, and Wrigleyville's about 30 minutes.

As for Downtown, I don't know much by where you're staying as far as a big area of bars. There's the Clark and Division area on the north edge of downtown, but that's mainly for college students. Rush Street is a little more high end.

I'd personally recommend the Northside bars - Wrigleyville, Lakeview and Lincoln Park - over the Downtown ones, especially since you're going to be up there for the Cubs game anyway. The whole area is just a cool area to check out - plenty of bars, restaurants, coffee shops and stores. It's a great place to just walk around and see, IMHO.

By the way, I agree with what a lot of people have said about where you're staying. I'm not familiar with the inside of the hotel, but the South Loop location isn't the greatest unless you're going to be spending time visiting the Field Museum, Aquarium and Planitarium. (Not bad options. I just recently visited the Field Museum and the King Tut exhibit was really good.) I don't know if you're staying there because of budget, but it's just that the South Loop is more the office building part of Downtown and really kind of shuts down after the classic 9-5 business day. And that doesn't sound like what you're looking for when you're asking about bars.

If you have any questions about Chicago, you can PM me. While I'm not a big bar person, I lived in Chicago for years and just recently visited, so I can certainly try to help out with restaurants, advice on things to see, directions, etc.

7. 21 is right. The Hilton is much more business class than a fun weekend place. Sleep at the Congress but don't plan on spending much time there. Get out and do things. Great city.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If you REALLY want to go native, head down the 111th Street stretch of bars and hang out with the city workers, firefighters and cops. And wear your union local jacket.

If you want to feel hipster, head to Wicker Park and Bucktown.

If you want to sample a variety of cool places that don't feel like they've been overrun by tourists from Iowa and the latest Big Ten grads bused straight from their graduation ceremonies to Wrigleyville, head to Lincoln Square.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Vote early. Vote often.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I'm not trying to sling the D_B mud, but this thread was helpful for my recent trip:
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/28803/

I probably shoulda posted a trip report, but I had a good time up there. A brief report:
    -- First day, walked from friends' house to Museum of Science and Industry (as an ex-submariner, I loved the U-boat; also did the Da Vinci exhibit, which wasn't quite as good), then walked over to a bookstore near U of C.
    -- Day 2: Pirates at Cubs, Wrigley. Cubs lose 6-0 in a game that wasn't as close as the score indicated, but had a great time at the game. Met an old Navy buddy there and we went out and grabbed a bite to eat and more beers in the neighborhood after.
    -- Day 3: Navy Pier with my hosts and their 18-month-old. Did the carousel (great view) and fought the crush.
    -- Day 4: Lollapalooza at Grant Park. Obviously, that won't be an option for you, but Nickel Creek was great (did a hillbilly version of the Britney Spears classic "Toxic" that was perfect in addition to displaying their completely awesome musical abilities) as was Wilco (only an hour set, but fantastic). I didn't think much of The Shins (unprofessional lollygagging between songs) and the Red Hot Chili Peppers were OK (60,000 folks and having to recessutate The Little Stoner Boy who passed out in front of me caused me to leave after 45 minutes, though).
    -- Day 5: As promised by suggestions on the other thread, the architectural boat tour (by the Chicago Architectural Foundation folks) was truly outstanding. Lasted 90 minutes, didn't feel that long and I felt like I could have heard another 90 minutes of it. Tons of interesting info. Did a turbo Art Institute tour, catching the highlights in 90 minutes (thanks to one-page directions in Lonely Planet guidebook). Also did the Sears Tower. Ate at Miller's Pub (ribs OK, but don't deserve world famous label), and then met a buddy at the Billy Goat for many Old Styles (followed by first and only cab ride of the week).
    -- Day 6: Didn't do jack. Just hung around my friends' house and watch TV to be rested for my return to work.
    -- Day 7: Flew back home, missing the Great Liquid Purge of '06 by one day, thankfully.

Thanks for all the great tips on the other thread.

12. chisox007

chisox007 New Member

Here ya go:
    Rush and State St.--Tons of bars and clubs (Great food too, Mortons, Gibsons)
    Division--Tons of bars and clubs
    Lincoln Avenue (Between Webster and Fullerton)--Tons of bars and Clubs
    Billy Goat Tavern--Dive, but worth a beer and you'll see some Trib and maybe S-T writers/editors
    Hubbard--Bars and Clubs (Rockit, Mother Hubbards)
    Wicker Park area (Milwaukee, North and Damen)--Kind of artsy and out there, but decent places
    Armitage and Halsted--Few late night places

Draft saved Draft deleted