1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Team won't let you take your own pictures? Replace them with cartoons!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by deskslave, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Editor to cartoonist: "Press runs in 15 minutes. Can you draw me up a cartoon of that game-winning triple-overtime touchdown?"

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If you're strapped for art, the AP is bound to move a cartoon of the starting pitcher from the first inning.

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Along those lines, say a lot of readers call in to support the use of cartoons and sales/subscriptions indeed go up. If the team owner calls and offers to remove the photography restrictions, do you accept the offer or do you stick with the cartoons?

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Who says you can't do both? Use the cartoon as a centerpiece or to depict the pivotal moment, keep the photos to use between games or as secondary art (assuming the restrictions are lifted without strings).

5. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Really, you try to do both. Without knowing the specifics of what the newspaper already does, in terms of space devoted, I'd say you find a way to make it a dependable component of your next-day coverage, much like you'd run a game notebook or "play of the day" graphic. You label it, brand it and showcase its special nature in some way.

I don't know if I see it on the front page -- at least not every time -- but let's face it: Editors have to be savvy marketers as much as keen journalists these days, and if you've got something really popular that distinguishes your newspaper's coverage from everyone else's, you exploit the hell out of it until the readers get tired of seeing it.

Obviously, it works better if the cartoon has an edge or some bite to it than just a drawn representation of game action, but if the readers enjoy it, why not?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted