1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Team photos in your tabs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sweetbreads bailey, Nov 13, 2007.

1. td truckers

td truckers Member

"Anyways, the ad staff calls me into a meeting this morning to talk about things and they about have a fit when I say I'm not running 12 team photos in the tab. What?!?! How could you?!?! It's what we've always done?!?!? The parents will be so upset?!?!

I try to explain that this isn't just for mom and dad but for our whole reading audience. But to no avail. The higher-ups deem that team photos need to be in the tab. Argg. I guess it's nice to have a record of every team for every year but it makes for a boring section when those hog up all the space... Anyone else have similar issues?"

I definitely feel your pain...we just had this minor "spat" with our editor for our football tab...the three of us wanted to change it up and not run the team photos but we got a similar feedback you did on the whole parents wanting the team shot thing...of course, if anyone's seen my postings on the youth stories thread then you know what we deal with at my paper.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, you take orders from ad staff and do photographers' work? damn dude, damn.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

had that fight many years ago...

the best compromise was that the ad department sold the spots and had their photogs go out and shoot it. best decision ever. and our ad people were really awful and once we told them to sell it, they had no trouble doing so. which was a minor miracle, or just how much people were willing to buy the team photo ad

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What you should do then is run mugs of all the players with little bio info with it. Would be better than a team photo by far.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

When I first got to my shop, the sports section used to run team photos for every team preview. I switched to running team photos of championship teams, at the conference level. At first some coaches and parents didn't like it, and it was really a compromize on my part to do even that. But teams that win now, will remark about getting their team picture in the paper. It's almost like a trophy itself.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i run team photos right along with people handing over giant checks while shaking hands.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We only have a football tab, but we do run team photos -- as part of the ads. The ad department usually incorporates into some sort of full page ad, with a bunch of small ads around the team photo. We do not, and would never, run it in the news hole.
    Since we're already out taking mugs, though, we will shoot the team photo to help out. It's nothing extra for us or the teams, saves the ad department some time and money, and seems to keep everybody happy.

8. expendable

Look at me!!!!!!!!!!! I'm generous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::)

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

look at me. i'm on a team.

some thing, only different.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

When I was sports editor at a small daily year ago, the ad department simply sold a tab page for every school. The page included the team picture and was surrounded by block ads. Since it obviously wasn't editorial content, I didn't have a problem with it and all the parents were happy.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

was that 1982?

12. expendable

What you say is true.

Draft saved Draft deleted