1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Team Paranoia strikes again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Jun 16, 2006.

1. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

He's worth $22 billion yet feels no shame in cajoling taxpayers to support stadium and arena projects.

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I thought Paul Allen wanted to sell the Blazers precisely because they were blackening his name...guys like that only want to be associated with first class stuff, not a shitty team full of thugs.
    And Mo, you don't get to be worth $22 billion by throwing around money you don't have to...if you can convince the yokels to buy you a stadium, you let the yokels buy you a stadium.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

tyler, what you're missing is the team became a shitty team full of thugs on allen's watch.

and by the way, he's not convincing anyone in the pac. northwest to fund squat.

4. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I thought the Seahawks' stadium was publically financed...I remember reading that Paul Allen even picked up the cost of a special election for the stadium tax.

And Petty, good point, they did become a bunch of thugs on his watch...although I think that probably has to do with some of the folks he hired for managment and the man's attentions going elsewhere (the Seahawks, the Experience Music Project, the space plane he's funded, the fact he was dating Laura Elena Herring).

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Isn't Allen pushing for the Blazers to be released from the bond payments to pay for constucting the Rose Garden? They made a big deal out of the team paying for the arena to be built in the first place, now they want the public to pick up the tab after all.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

tyler, a 'good point post' right back at ya. allen was able to get the good folks of washington to pay for the seahawks' new stadium, but most of the 'yes' votes came out of seattle and nobody else from inside the state considers them to be washingtonians, anyway.

as far as oregonians ponying up a dime, though, well, it will never happen. people in oregon are too busy being quoted as muttering to each other: 'god, remember how good we were in 1977? i still wish walton didn't have such brittle bones ... and that lucas, now he could kick ass. helluva team. helluva team.'

Draft saved Draft deleted