1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teaching evolution in an evangelized America...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bookmark

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No, I'm not in a trap. I recognize the questions as sophistry. That doesn't change the nature of questions. They're simple and to the point. The answers are not necessarily. Whether I agree with the answers, and I generally do, is immaterial to the reality that science has cut some corners in the past on the issue evolution, and just never expected anyone to care or notice.

And, yes, local boards are in part to blame. But I've seen a local board persuaded to ban Native Son. For reverse racism. Local boards are, by nature, wild cards.

3. You're absolutely right. Because science is complicated. There's no way around it. That's why people embrace religion and reject science. Because science is fucking hard. Calculus is tough, as well. Should I not "believe" in it?

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Teachers, of good quality, are underpaid. On top of this, college costs have gone up. How do you expect a scientist that spent years and at least a hundred thousand dollars obtaining his/her degree to become a high school teacher? Then you expect that teacher to tolerate some parent telling them that evolution is just a made up story?

I get that you need patience and a tireless work ethic to be a teacher (there are many teachers in my family) but the argument about evolution is one that pushes a lot of scientists out of the classroom. Idiotic parents drove me out of coaching just as idiotic parents drive away good teachers.

If teachers were given the leeway to teach and lent the authority on the subject that they should be given, this wouldn’t be an issue. Instead, parents, ignorant parents, sit at home and try to undermine these good teachers’, teachers like the one in the story here, efforts.

When Bryce goes home and starts studying, is his mother encouraging him to read the text books? Is she pushing him to learn more about the subject? No. She’s taking home a copy of 10 Questions That Have Long Ago Been Proven Wrong But Will Be Asked Anyway from her church pastor.

Why is the church pastor handing out this type of literature when it is obviously false? The answer to that is simple: money and control. Money allows religion to continue forward to keep their control. If their authority one thing (and religion requires itself to be an authority on everything) is questioned, then they lose their control.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Not wading into some argument about how faith is "easy," but, hey I agree with you. People reject science because it is tough.

But it's not incumbent on those who reject it to suddenly stop rejecting it. The onus is the scientific community to get through and make it matter.

6. When I say faith is easy, you know what I mean. I'm talking about the basic concepts - "God made everything" vs. organic chemistry, physics, etc., etc., etc.

Maybe "simple" was a better term than "easy."

I'm Catholic, and we have no problem believing in evolution, figurative interpretations of Biblical tales, etc., etc., so I have little patience for fundamentalists who refuse to find a place at the table for both faith and science.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Why? Why is the onus on the scientific community to explain to people that science, how things work, is important? Why is it not on the parents to ingrain the idea that searching out for an answer and asking “Why” is a good way to learn something? Why is it not on the parents to give their children the desire to learn something they did not know?

Sorry, it isn’t the science community’s fault that people are constantly being told to not listen to them. They try reaching out. They have the Discovery Channel, National Geographic Channel, etc. They try to make it exciting with “Prehistoric Fight Club” and such. But when you have thousands of parents telling their children that dinosaurs where hanging out with people, how does the scientific community react? They can’t go burn down the church’s promoting that garbage!

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Why should Creationism be discussed? Most high school English curriculums contain courses on Greek and Roman mythology?

Oh right... it shouldn't be discussed because you've closed the floor.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Sorry, I think the discussion here is about science.

10. Huge difference between English curriculums and science curriculums. You want creationism in a mythology course? Fine by me!

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, no...if you want to see the argument for creationism to be taught in schools get crushed again, go for it.

I honestly don't know when the last time you posted about it was, but the start to this thread sure reads like a sad attempt to revive it, no matter how many snide remarks you make now.

12. I think you're being a little hard on him. I mean, the piece was on the Sunday cover of the New York Times.

Not exactly tucked away in some barely read niche publication somewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted