1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teachers in Georgia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheEck, Feb 3, 2007.

1. TheEck

TheEck New Member

A bill has been proposed in Georgia to cut the number of school days from 180 to 170. As it is, kids go to school less than half of the days during the year. Now they want to cut that number by 10. This is the state's solution to fixing one of the most wretched public education systems in the country? The state also believes it will save money (on transporation, food, etc.) by doing this, and it will use some of that money to give teachers a bigger raise. So teachers will be asked to work two fewer weeks and they'll be given more money? First-year teachers in Georgia, by the way, average about $35,000. So why did I become a sports writer again?

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

$35,000 for the first year? Shit, that's about fifth-year pay for some of the school systems where I live.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

'Cause it's cool. And you get into games for free, right? ;D

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Shit.. Fifth-year pay with a masters...

And yew can bet in Gawgia, them 10 days will come out of the early year so it them footballl coaches don't have nuthin to interfere with them bawl games..

5. n8wilk

n8wilk Guest

I quit the business to go into teaching. I made $10,000 more than I did as a sports writer within 5 months of quitting.

Teaching is a lot more hours per week, but you can't beat all the time off. It allows plenty of time to freelance if you want. It's not a bad career move if you're sick of the business.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

My issue with school is that the day starts too early. Recent sleep studies are showing that kids are sleep-deprived, and it's screwing them up.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I've recently made the same career move.

First year teacher's salary (suburban school in IN) > SE's salary with 9 years' experience.

Add in freelancing & coaching a middle school basketball team, and I'm making about $3-4K more than I did as an SE.

If I ever decide to pick up summer school, I could add another $4-5K on top of that. Throw in built-in raises (cost-of-living + experience raises) and built-in boosts for getting a master's degree, and I don't financially regret making the move. The only question I keep asking myself now (every time I look at the pay scale) is "why didn't I do this five years ago?"

8. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

My best friend did the same thing -- and, yes, was making more in his second year than he did in his fourth year of working in newspapers.

I don't fool people into thinking it's easy, though. He has "homework" every night including the weekends, and he regularly works 12-hour days. Plus, emotionally, it can be rough. But if you think you can hack dealing with kids, I would definitely say teaching is a great option for writers and editors.

And I'm jealous as hell around the Holidays. Two weeks for Christmas! Plus, as you mentioned, all the freelancing you want, or don't want, over the summer.

Hmmmmmm.

9. n8wilk

n8wilk Guest

Crimson-

You're dead on about the stress factor. My easiest day at school is more stressful than any day on deadline. Plus, I got into a special program that allowed me to teach earlier, but I had to do so in the inner city. That factor bumps up the stress exponentially. But I don't regret the decision. As soon as I get my Master's out of the way, I'll have plenty of time to do what I miss most. Writing.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I left the business after almost 8 years, making $32,000. I'll start a new job in June at $48,000.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

They may very well be sleep-deprived, but it's their parents who are screwing them up.

Draft saved Draft deleted