1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teacher throws away prep football player's Powerade? Do I have a story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportshack06, Aug 25, 2007.

1. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

The real story here is the existence of a megalomaniacal asshole teaching in that high school. In front of a group of parents, would the principal, school board etc. be proud of the teachers actions, or would they agree that they at least crossed the line. I bet the teacher would have a difficult time explaining himself in front of that group. This is certainly a story.

2. silentbob

silentbob Member

A mean teacher is hardly newsworthy.

Especially if the teacher or school has rules about bringing food or drink into the classroom.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The real story would be if there wasn't a megalomaniacal asshole teaching at a high school.

I am all for tweaking authority, and would consider pursuing this but teachers, coaches, assistant principals, etc., like this are common.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Voice of experience here:

That teacher is not the only one in that high school.

And there are some kids who will do much better under a teacher like that.

I am not defending, just commenting.

Should the teacher pull back. Probably. But that's up to the parents to complain to the teacher, the department head and the principal.

Me, I am the warm, fuzzy type. I sell candy bars in class as a fund-raiser.

5. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Billy, I figured out your school based on the hints alone.

I take my criminal-justice class up to Middleton a couple times a year for the Scared Straight program at the correctional facility. It's possible some of your former students have shouted at some of mine.

Anyway, we always stop for lunch at BK on Route 1 in Peabody on the way back. And of course I search their bags to make sure they're not smuggling Whoppers onto the bus. ;D

And Tom Petty, yeah, I must be a huge Bush supporter because I agree with the concept of rules.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Do the rules apply to your friends and cohorts, though?

7. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

There may be a small number of kids that will thrive in that environment, but the VAST majority will not. If being an asshole is how someone controls their classroom, that person does not have the leadership abilities to be a teacher to begin with. Saying there are a lot of assholes doesn't make being one OK.

8. silentbob

silentbob Member

This is no different than if a coach tells his players to come back tomorrow well-rested.

Doesn't give the players the right to sleep in class.

And if one does fall asleep, the teacher is right to call him out on it.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

According to the OP, the kid wasn't drinking Powerade in class. He just admitted, when asked, that he had an unopened bottle in his backpack.

Not the same thing.

Now, it's fully possible that the OP has only the kid's version of the story. Maybe he actually was drinking Powerade in class. And maybe he was shaking it up and spraying it all over his classmates, as if he had just won the World Series.

In that case, yeah, the teacher was in the right.

But if the kid's story is the God's honest truth, then the teacher was being a d-bag.

10. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Absolutely. If the kid's version was the God's honest truth. And that's a big if.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

For the record, I still don't think this is a story either way. At least, not taken on it's own.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Yeah, not too subtle.

I was there for five years, but I recently moved because my wife go a library director's job.

Draft saved Draft deleted