1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teacher tenure upheld in California

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Apr 15, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Boy does this sound familiar ...

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

More abortions would mean less chance that bad students would get in the way of the union's noble efforts.

old_tony likes this.
  3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Oops

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. doctorquant

That's not what this case is about. It's about whether the extant tenure procedures/protections lead to bad teachers disproportionately being placed in classrooms for poor/minority students. I think it's a stupid legal theory, mind you, but that's whence comes the constitutional challenge.

5. doctorquant

I'm not naming names ...

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You forgot to say vis a vis, though.

doctorquant likes this.
  7. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

I'm not really seeing how that's a much of a distinction--it is ultimately about whether the law is constitutional. And it's certainly not a material distinction for the purposes of rebutting OT's argument.

8. doctorquant

The difference between "can the legislature constitutionally enact tenure provisions" and "are the provisions as enacted constitutional" is a huge one.

old_tony and franticscribe like this.
  9. doctorquant

That's the fons et origo of my rhetorical strategy.

10. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Not for the purpose of whether--as OT suggests--the state has to point to some constitutional provision saying teacher tenure is a constitutional right.

11. doctorquant

You opened that up with your "Can you point me to the provision of the California Constitution that prohibits teacher tenure?," but you and OT can squabble all you want. I've got enough on my plate keeping cranberry out of the ditches.

old_tony likes this.
  12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Blurting out meaningless innuendo as a means to worm out of a discussion when you don't have an adequate response. Another tactic I've come to expect from you.

Draft saved Draft deleted