1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teacher tenure upheld in California

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Turn it over to Wal-Schools and see how you like that.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

At least in Wal-Schools, the fat girls are popular.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I thought the document was pretty obviously some lame attempt to be satirical. People really took that seriously?

6. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Can you point me to the provision of the California Constitution that prohibits teacher tenure?

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

These (and similar) statements sure do speak to teachers unions' interests vis-a-vis education quality.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I'm sure educating students is among the top dozen concerns of the NEA.

old_tony likes this.
  9. doctorquant

It's essential ...

old_tony likes this.
  10. cranberry

And that's a pretty naive and simplistic take on negotiating a collective bargaining agreement.

11. doctorquant

I have absolutely no problem with teachers unions not concerning themselves with education quality (broadly defined) ... Their role is to do the best they can for their members. But I also think we should be honest about where their interests truly lie.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  12. cranberry

The unions' interests are the collective professional interests of their members, including to a very large degree having the ability and resources to do their jobs -- teaching students -- to the best of their ability. Salary, job security, work rules, class sizes, work load, etc. are all part of the mix. But to suggest the various teachers' unions, which are run by executive boards made up of teachers, somehow don't care about or aren't aligned with educating students is flat wrong. Generally, their biggest frustration is they are not provided the resources to do their jobs at the level they consider to be in their students' best interests.

Draft saved Draft deleted