1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teacher suspended for telling it like it is...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Don't put anything even remotely critical of your employer, your work conditions, your clients, your customers, etc etc. on any blog, web site, social site, on which you can even be remotely identified.

2. Lynn Burke

Lynn Burke Member

Junior high math and freshman algebra teacher. At our 20th HS reunion, all the teachers were invited back. When people would go up to this woman, she would reach into her bag, pull out old gradebooks and tell them how good (or bad) we were in her class. For reasons that are obvious, I avoided her!

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

35 years after I had her in class, I still wish Connie Roybal a painful death for the humiliation I suffered in 6th, 7th and 8th grade. Even when I did the right thing, I was wrong.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That's cause you're a putz.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yeah, so many high schools and middle schools are filled with a majority of unmotivated kids who have this air of entitlement.
    They suck and their parents often are flaky, disengaged dipshits.

There's still hope though.

6. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

I had a math teacher in high school (also the water polo coach) who terrified me. I'd go in before school a couple times per week to try and understand what was going on, but it still didn't click. Math has always been a major weakness for me. He knew this. He'd have a problem on the board, look around the room for someone to call on. At least once or twice a week, he'd look right at me, smile and ask if I knew the answer. I'd say 1 out of every 10 times, I did.

Last year, his school was hosting a water polo meet. I was scared to make eye contact, even though I've been out of high school for nearly 10 years.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Because schools boards are full of sanctimonious parents/business leaders who hate education and teachers and enjoy being the "parents' advocate" on the board. Some love nothing more than to tear down the work of educators.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

True tho that may be, I still want her to die painfully.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Society doesn't advance and better itself automatically. It usually takes someone willing to speak up, not accept the status quo and go a little Howard Beale. The momentum of mediocrity is a powerful, seductive force. I'm glad that in this day and time, she wasn't smarter than this. A tip of the hat to those willing to step outside the comfort zone. We're all going to die, and we're going to be dead for a long, long time. Life is short. Good for her. Brava.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Crazy. I don't recall having any teachers that I ever felt more than a tiny bit peeved at. Certainly not angry enough to want to harm them. Then again, I was strictly raised to respect my elders even when they didn't earn it.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

I realize, especially now that I'm dating a teacher, that they have and always have had very challenging jobs.

It's still no excuse for some of them to have behaved the way they have toward children.

The only thing that saved a couple of my teachers from horrific beatings at the hands of my parents is that I was terrified that I would get it at home if I had let slip what was going on at school. Back then I just naturally assumed that a teacher's word was law and my parents would automatically take their word over mine. "Oh, you got spanked in front of the entire class, did you, Double J? Well, I guess you must have deserved it, and here's some more for good measure!!"

12. printdust

printdust New Member

We're not going to call our lousy unmotivated students out. We're going to continue to let America's educational quality slip into the sewer.

Nutjob parents and lawyers run the educational system in which bad teachers flourish. Some good teachers who see teaching as a calling tough it out for as long as they can, then they're either cut for early retirement or just get burned out.

Draft saved Draft deleted