1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teacher suspended for telling it like it is...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Feb 16, 2011.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

We don’t need no thought control, either.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Does dark sarcasm in the classroom require a dark font?

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's more ominous, I suppose, but shouldn't the teachers just leave them kids alone?

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wow, no one wants to be in her class.

http://news.yahoo.com/student-ranks-thinning-blogging-pa-teacher-105622659.html

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

We all had terrible teachers. Mine was Coleen Wallenhorst (even the name sounds brutal) and she took great pleasure in making kids miserable. However, I can't see spitting in her face or punching her in the gut...even though she made my 6th grade year hell. If I saw her now I would probably say "hello," introduce her to my beautiful wife kids and leave. Let her know her little games had no effect on me at all...and that my life is probably a hell of a lot happier than hers.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I love this.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think some of the worst teachers are in math. Many of them like to ridicule students who ask questions if they think they should already know the subject matter.

So kids sit there and fall further and further behind afraid to ask for help.

I had one geometry teacher who would fawn over cheerleaders and football players and shoot daggers and other kids who tried to ask a questions.

But the worst was the brutal middle school football coach. My friends had him for PE and football and hated his guts. After the season they spent weeks collecting trash and toilet paper and some vile, smelly concoction in a garbage can. Late one night spread it all over his lawn and trees and bushes.

They would have gotten away with it but they had to brag, and this coach wasn't dumb. He grabbed some pretty girls (figuring they would be the ones you'd brag to) and threatened them till one told who did it.

My friends got to have a nice chat with the police and had to take care of the coach's yard for the summer.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

We had a fifth grade teacher who absolutely scared the shit out of me and, I'm guessing, everybody in my class. This was his first teaching assignment so he was a fairly young guy. Probably early 20s. Anyway, he had a very short fuse and would explode over the most minor issues. There was no throwing of erasers, spitballs, etc. when you were in his classroom.

One day he got so pissed off he told us - a room full of 10-year-olds - "this fist is the hospital. This fist is the cemetery."

Looking back on that year I think its possible he may have had some mental problems. He didn't last very long as a teacher as I recall.

9. spurtswriter

spurtswriter Member

Ken Vertz. Junior high. Mechanical drawing. Despicable human being who took great joy in public humiliation. Later had a sex change and finally committed suicide. Applause thundered throughout the land at the news.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yeah there were some pretty bad teachers in my day (70's) but I always took the survival route for the most part. In the early party of grammar school I was the joker, the guy leaning back in his chair and falling on his back, and I think I almost got held back in 1st or 2nd grade for doing that. But thereafter, it clicked that if I just did my work and got good grades, my mom was happy and I got a few cool things. Plus, for some reason, I got it in my head that I was going to college so there was no way I was going to screw around.

Well since there was corporal punishment (pulling ears, paddles, punching), that was probably a deterrent as well and my mom swung a mean featherduster as well.

One of my favs, Ms. Terranova, who ended up writing a letter of recommendation for me to college, had the all time saying, "I want to go to hell because that's where all the fun people are." (She'd get fired for that today.)

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Very well. Then the few kids in her class will get more attention from her, and be more engaged, and perhaps learn a few things.

Instead of getting pissed off at the teacher, why not get pissed off at your kid for actiing up?

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's easier to blame the school than yourself for failing to teach your kids proper manners.

Draft saved Draft deleted