1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teacher suspended for telling it like it is...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Feb 16, 2011.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I had a teacher tell me in sixth grade that I better get my act together because "welfare only lasts for six months." In this day and age I could have had my college education and a new car from that statement. Of course this same teacher gushed and played the "I always knew you had talent card" when she learned I won a writing award. Uh huh. Whatever.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I had a certain teacher from like sixth-to-eighth grade that, if she ever stepped in front of my car, it would experience brake failure -- and this is 35 years later.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Was her first name Mitch?

4. BitterYoungMatador2

Mine's 23 years later and still sticks in my brain. Ohh yeah, I went to a catholic grade school. Real "Christian" attitude, huh?

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Second-grade, public school, 1975. If she still happens to be alive (I'm guessing she would be between 60 and 70 years old now) and I happened to come across her, I'd probably punch her in the face.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't think I have any teachers whom I disliked all that much. A lot of them disliked me.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Connie Roybal. Never forgive, never forget. And BYM? Mine was too.
    I wouldn't walk across the street to piss on her if she was on fire.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

Slappy,

Roberta Ravasio. Still alive as far as I know. Thankfully retired.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There's a Connie Roybal listed in Milwaukee and she works with a Catholic school... it could be her... she was bitter and bitchy enough never to get married

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I get the teacher's frustration. I really do. But if that many students are out of control, she needs to look at what she is doing, too.

And the blog was pure stupidity.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I had an elementary school teacher 26 years ago that always acted like she was the female version of Vince Lombardi.

Screaming, yelling at the kids, every day. She was the Teacher Nazi. The one incident that has always stood out for me was when she humiliated me for claiming that I wasn't saying the Pledge of Allegiance. Thing is, I was saying it. It just wasn't loud enough for her, so she screamed at me to stand up and say it again in front of the whole class. I did, through a whole bunch of tears, totally humiliated. Ever since then, whenever I hear of kids refusing to say the Pledge, I totally am in their corner.

I dreaded going to school every single morning, and I've never had that feeling of constant dread since, through Jr. High, High School, college, and even my workplaces. I honestly think that if I saw her today, I'd spit in her face, or worse.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the problem with education is that some people want their kids "taught" while others want their kids to "learn." You learn by doing - too many classes give kids make-work.
    I think kids today (especially today - though I think Bubbler is spot on, hell they've been making the same "teacher" movies since it was invented - I'm sure Anne Sullivan felt the same way) - anyway back to my thought - kids today are so plugged in that the "pace" of education could be picked up. Give the kids a "final" on day one, as soon as they pass it (not the same test, but the same breadth of knowledge) they move on to another class.

Draft saved Draft deleted