1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teacher Opposed to Gay Marriage Could be Fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportbook, Aug 19, 2011.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well, you're fired.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

His gay students should just corner him in the showers.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

just so I'm straight (no pun) on this: not agreeing with something equals hate?

Wow.

To me, that's the biggest issue here. Just seems unfair to say he hates gay people. I bet he doesn't. He objects to the idea of gay marriage. That's two separate, albeit related issues.

To me, it's like hating the Yankees but liking baseball. Not liking a part of an issue doesn't mean hatred for the entire subject.

And I have no doubt that anyone on here is 100 percent tolerant on any issue.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Regardless of the issue it amazes me that people are still stupid enough to believe what they post on facebook or let's say message boards can't get them in trouble.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Why does this "hate" talk amaze anyone? Half the country has aligned itself with an ideology that deems anyone who disagrees with even a part of it a "hateful" person.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yes, we created a hypothetical that didn't happen and then suggest how we thought people would likely respond.

Good job keeping up.

7. J Staley

J Staley Member

The teacher's Facebook posts aren't hateful, but they aren't civil either.

Why does it surprise people that others could see what the teacher did as hateful? Again, I don't think he necessarily hates gays based on his posts. But there's a long history of people holding the same anti-gay views bullying, beating and even killing gays.

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

While Pickering has similar facts, the analysis was significantly altered by Garcetti v. Ceballos. Under Garcetti, you first must determine whether the teacher was speaking pursuant to his duties as a teacher. Because this apparently was done on his own time, from his own computer, on his own social media page, and had nothing to do with education policy, it's pretty clear he's not speaking pursuant to his duties as a teacher.

If you applied the Garcetti analysis to Pickering, things might come out differently since Pickering was speaking about school policy.

Also, I wouldn't say "a lot of circuits have ruled that it's OK to take action" because it's really only two -- the Second and Fourth -- that have done so and in the facts of the Fourth Circuit case there was a very substantial connection between the online, off-campus speech and the disruption at school. It was aimed at a classmate, not a thin-skinned administrator, the speaker invited dozens of classmates to participate in the humiliation of their classmate, which they did, and there was a significant disruption at school, not just a teacher or principal feeling uncomfortable for a day or two.

The Second Circuit case (Donniger) is the only real outlier that says a school can punish a student for online, off-campus speech that really should be protected.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I just appreciate it when people choose to quote the Bible--you know, that book that says "Do onto others" and generally asks you to accept people regardless of their flaws and that says only God can judge people, e.t.c.--when justifying their hatred of gays and gay marriage.

Wasn't aware that book's teachings were available on an ala carte basis. Good to know.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Considering the topic, that made me sniggle.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So, scheiz, you're saying we should be more tolerant and not listen to these assholes?

12. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Oy. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted