1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teacher Opposed to Gay Marriage Could be Fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportbook, Aug 19, 2011.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Let's see....

No, I don't think the "free speech" argument would get a lot of support.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He shouldn't be fired. But I'd like to see some of his gay students ask him on the very first day of school why he hates them.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this. I have a friend who is atheist and extremely liberal, and obnoxiously outspoken on both -- and I say that as a fairly liberal, not-remotely-religious person. He's constantly posting links and comments reflecting those views in his Facebook posts.

He works in PR. I don't get it at all.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

It's all about what makes it into the classroom. There was a teacher in one of the surrounding communities to where I live now that started teaching pro-Nazi views in his classroom, he obviously got shit canned in a hurry.
    Was this teacher in Florida preaching in his class? Not according to the story or what I've heard so far. In fact he was recognized as his school's best teacher. If he had a record for ostracizing students then I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be employed long or be receiving awards from his school.
    As long as the teacher has the discipline to not let his personal views enter his class or affect the way he treats students, then what he does out side of school hours and activities should not affect his employment.

Growing up I'm sure I had a different views on life and different values than some of my teachers, but then when I was 16 I couldn't have cared less about my teachers' politics or beliefs, as long as we were treated fairly.

5. J Staley

J Staley Member

You seem to be associating tolerance with taking a side on a political issue. I agree that teachers shouldn't be trying to sway political opinions of students, but I think you can teach tolerance and remain neutral. Further, I think tolerance is a key part of being unbiased.

I'm sure most classrooms in America have students with a mix of political opinions. What's wrong with teaching students to be civil and respectful of those that disagree with them? Isn't that tolerance?

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So not only are we creating a hypothetical that didn't happen, but we're deciding how other people would act in that hypothetical?

Why don't you just let us tell you how we'd feel. I don't care if he said Hitler didn't go far enough, as long as he doesn't bring it up in school, it should be his business.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

That's fine, as long as students are also allowed to ask "pro-choice" teachers why they hate babies and want to kill them. Same thing, gotta be fair across the board. Right?

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Perhaps his customer base has similar beliefs and he was preaching to the choir? But that can't be it because liberals don't eat burgers.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't buy the line that's drawn from this guy's making a sophomoric, idiotic post to his "hating" gay students. I think plenty of folks out there who oppose same-sex marriage absolutely do not hate gays/lesbians.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Thought there was an interesting comment in the story where one lawyer interviewed said he thought it'd make a difference whether or not the teacher was friends with students on Facebook. That was my first thought, too. What say you guys?

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Initially yes. But now that this story's gotten this big, his kids all know.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I teach my students to be civil and respectful -- matter of fact, one of the first things we talk about on the first day is "someone is going to disagree with you. Attack the *idea* not the person. A person is not better or worse than you because they hold different viewpoints. But we can have a civil discussion of the different viewpoints." I'm a big believer in discussing all sides of issues, and letting the students decide. If it gets uncivil, then I have to step in -- and sometimes, they do.

Unfortunately, the word "tolerance" has a hidden meaning. And in current parlance, if you're not 100 percent accepting and affirming of homosexuality and homosexual behavior, you're intolerant.

But, taking this back into context, then is it being "intolerant" to view homosexual behavior as sinful (which is pretty clearly spelled out in the holy book of the religion claimed by the large percentage of Americans) if one clearly says the *behavior* is sinful. As noted earlier, I'm sure some of my students are sexually active -- which my religious beliefs also speak out as being immorral -- and drink/smoke underage and use drugs, which not only goes against my values system, it's against the law. Do I think worse of them as people because I don't approve of their behavior? No. Am I "intolerant" if I point out that such behaviors, according to my values system, are immoral? No. Then why would I, if I believed homosexual behavior was also immoral, be "intolerant" of those who participate in it?

From that perspective, people should be free to do whatever they choose to do on their own time as long as it doesn't violate anyone else. But that doesn't mean society has to approve of it, and if members of society don't approve of such behavior, they are intolerant. I accept people, but I refuse to define people as human beings by their behavior.

Draft saved Draft deleted