1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teacher Opposed to Gay Marriage Could be Fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportbook, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Again. Facebook. Not private.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He means not within the realm of his public employment.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Private in the sense of "not on work time or using work facilities." Maybe "personal" would have been a better choice of words.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Have you managed to live your life without ever meeting a liberal?

5. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

A teacher for 22 years.
    So glad we've gotten to the point that we fire teachers for their personal beliefs and no their inability to teach.

Who the hell cares if our students are becoming worse and worse every year, so long as we all tolerate each other?
    One day all our great grandchildren will be able to sit around the campfire and happily sing kumbaya together....oh wait, no they won't, none of them will be able to learn the words.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If students are becoming worse and worse, aren't teachers partially responsible for that? And if teachers can't teach tolerance then they should probably find another line of work.

7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Hey, who knows, maybe he's just one of those lazy, no-good union-thug teachers that have been protected all these years.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Where are all the cries for unions? No protection unless you think/vote correctly?

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I assume you forgot the sarcasm font

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Unions are vital to the working man -- unless that man views things differently. What an intolerant asshole.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The guy filling in for Rush today -- Mark Davis out of Dallas -- talked about this for a good portion of the show without coming to a conclusion, one way or the other.

I'm divided on it as well.

I disagree with what the teacher said -- completely & totally.

Does it matter if his Facebook page was visible only to his "friends"? (And, I don't know if it was.) Would that make it a "private" communication vs. a "public" one, or does the fact that it was on Facebook make it public.

Also, does the fact that he's a public employee make a difference? I think a company would have more leeway in this kind of thing.

Again, I strenuously disagree with his post, but if he can be fired, who else can be fired?

If a teacher -- let's say one in the Bible belt -- says on Facebook that religion is a crutch for weak people, should he/she be fired? I don't think so, but once you open the door, couldn't it go there?

12. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Yes, sir. Don't believe in it. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted