1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teacher keeps $90K job after being late 111 times

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Gonna go out on a limb and say anyone who uses the "breakfast made me do it" defense is probably not collecting too many accolades.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"One to two minutes" is well within the margin of error in reconciling two different clocks. And, if he wasn't late for "class," what was he late for?

On the other hand, nobody ever notified him that he better shape up or losing his job was a possibility? The story said he never got a notice of disciplinary action, but it also says his salary increases were denied as a disciplinary action.

Seems this is being overturned on a Ryan Braun-esque due process technicality rather than anything else.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Maybe he was framed like Ryan Braun was.

cjericho likes this.
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Maybe he was skipping out on morning glory hole duty.

old_tony and spikechiquet like this.
  5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yes, the story says the decision was made because he was not subjected to "progressive disciple" so he might have been told, but it was not documented. And as was pointed out above, he was not late to class. But what a stupid defense.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So you're saying this guy has magic urine?

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The important thing to remember is that teachers never have to work when they're off the clock and don't take work home, so he owes the district for those minutes.

cranberry and JackReacher like this.
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What he's saying is that, like you, he can't resist pissing on another thread. (There's a hanging curve for somebody.)

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

BDC99 likes this.
  10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The major difference being there is no question this guy did exactly what he is accused of, not just in hindsight like Braun. He admits it, but decided the rules don't apply to him as long as it doesn't disrupt actual classes.

And now A_QB thinks he drew me to a thread even though I was posting on it before he did. Darn facts do trouble him so.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If he is an elementary school teacher, chances are he has a homeroom. Many school divisions have extended the school day so much that he might have to report at 7:35 and the buses start letting out at 7:40, so he would need to be there to supervise students since they cannot sit in an empty room without an adult.

The rub is his being late is creating an unsafe environment for students. School is like a press conference or a game; you don't show up late.

Fire his ass.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yeah, but after 111 such incidents, without any substantial warning of termination, as far as I can tell, it's as much on the district as it is on the teacher.

If I mispelled a player's name 111 times during a baseball season, and no one said anything about it, why wouldn't I think everything was A-OK?

Draft saved Draft deleted