1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teacher fired for inappropriate conduct with a student (And a new wrinkle ...)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by secretariat, Mar 16, 2011.

1. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

[​IMG]

http://triblocal.com/winnetka-northfield/2011/03/16/new-trier-fires-teacher-over-alleged-relationship-with-student/

Here's the wrinkle:

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Since then student was off-campus, he should have told the gray-bearded man to go fuck himself.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It doesn't surprise me that type of policy would be made at New Trier.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

There was a scandal at a nearby school and the collateral damage really tears at the entire fabric of the school community. I don't think that students commenting on the situation would be very healthy to the kids.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My money is on the conduct being with a female student.

And she was making $77k. Not bad.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

See, this is what happens when teachers make good money. {Scott Walker}

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

You have got to think that about 10 percent of these relationships are publicized. Right?

I have personal knowledge of three people who have been involved in teacher-student relationships.

One was a guy I went to high school with who ended up substitute teaching and banged a 17-year old student. Didn't surprise me at all that he would do that. He was arrested and splashed all over the Internet and local TV. Never heard what his punishment was.

The second was a girl I knew in college who became a high school teacher. Lesbian relationship. Never got caught, though she confessed to a mutual friend after the relationship ended and admitted she was an idiot.

The third was another friend of mine from college who got drunk and confessed to me that she slept with her gym teacher in high school. One-time thing. Never got caught.

And trust me, I don't know that many teachers.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Tough to say with anecdotal evidence. The four that I know of, two were arrested, one was fired a couple of times, but no legal issues. And one was on the college level and nobody seemed to give a shit.

Friend of my wife's family who was busted for improper conduct (not sure exactly how far his relationships with multiple girls went). Lost his teaching license and ended up registered as a sex offender.

High school girls hoops coach was banging one of his star players for about two years before she graduated. Once she went off to college, she told and he got arrested. I know the kid and her father. Amazed to this day that the father didn't tear the coach a part.

College coach I've dealt with once or twice screwed around with the girls he coached. Did it for many, many years. Never got caught, which still amazes me given how many people seemed to know about it.

Another one supposedly lost two college assistant jobs for improper behavior (though to be fair, he married the first one). So what happens? He ends up coaching high school girls.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

With three months off!

And I am really proud of my SportsJournalists.commers, who have been supplying us with the all-important pic in the opening post. By posting the all-important pic, it gives us the information we need to, uh, determine whether we should be interested in the thread.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'd hit it. I like German girls.

Back to the issue. My sister-in-law was involved with her junior high principal. There was a trial and he was acquitted, but he had to resign.

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

My wife is a teacher, and I have subbed for her and others as well: it's easy to see how all of this happens. Not condoning, just sayin'.

And yes, I'm sure the majority of these are never discovered.

12. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

I heard a couple of writers plagiarized a couple of times. I wonder if all writers plagiarize and just haven't been caught.

Draft saved Draft deleted