1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teacher can't spell "looser," is suspended

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting story out of NC - I suspect I'd probably be hacked off it it was my kid.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/national/article/LOSEGAT16_20100316-134601/330731/

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seems like a fair punishment. I think putting a big Fon a paper should be sufficient.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Saw that story last week.

Lucky he didn't get fired.

But maybe he'd be better off if he did get canned, because he is clearly ill equipped to be teaching anything to anyone.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A kid in my Geometry class my freshman year of high school reversed a graph and the teacher wrote DYSLEXIC? across the front of it. Teacher was suspended for a week and then fired at the end of the school year.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He actually said that it was his way of relating to students? The administration should fire him and explain that it is their way of dealing with assholes who don't belong in education.

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Assholes who don't belong in education tend to be administrators.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

This is one of the more oft-told stories among members of my graduating class. We had a math teacher who said, "Now, open your textbooks to Mary's favorite number...69!"

Mary was a cute girl in the class.

He was voted teacher of the year in the school two years later.

As a postscript to the story, my friend, who is now a teacher himself, was telling this story to his fellow teachers one day in their lounge. Everyone was of course horrified. A few minutes later, my buddy's at the urinal when a science teacher in the class goes to the next one. The science teacher asks, "Mike, about your story. All the kids in my class laugh, too, when I say the number 69. What's so funny about that? What is 69?"

He was being perfectly honest; he was like a weird shut-in. So my friend had to explain the basics of 69 to a 50-year-old colleague.

8. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Bingo.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

While they were in the can. Which makes it even creepier.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'm not sure which one of those is more disturbing.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Or on the Texas School Board.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/education/13texas.html?scp=1&sq=Texas%20school%20board&st=cse

Draft saved Draft deleted